1909S Indian Head Cent Grade Input

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Greetings folks!
    I’d love to get some input on the grade for this key date IHC. It came to me as part of an estate collection and I was considering sending it in to be graded but thought I’d get input here first. Also thoughts on whether it has been cleaned would be nice.
    Enjoy!
    00B70813-76D7-42FC-B46B-85F2EAD835FC.jpeg 1B4A3E21-C1E9-46C4-B465-C8656434B6B5.jpeg

1stSgt22 and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Without question have it graded!!! from these pic's I would say xf-AU... real nice 09s :D

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Cleaned harshly....look at "one cent" as well the wreath....see the color difference? Those areas at one point had dirt anound the devices. Not to mention that the look of the fields.
    Put it in your album and enjoy. Don't pay to have it graded.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  5. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

XF 40. Cleaned. I'd have it graded.

mrweaseluv likes this.
  6. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

XF details cleaned if your planning on selling if I were you get it certified.But if not and for your personal collection just keep it raw.As a VF to XF details coin based on certified sales its at least a $300 coin.

mrweaseluv likes this.
  7. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I think it's got about VF-30 sharpness but I'd net it at VF-25. I also think it's been cleaned. Is it worth submitting? I'd say it's on the bubble. It certainly helps to have it authenticated if you're looking to sell it even at the risk of it coming back "Details-Cleaned". If you just want it in your collection and you are satisfied it's genuine, then save your submission money.

Paddy54 likes this.
  8. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

It looks cleaned but that may be from the lighting reflecting and amplifying the wear. Try taking a photo at an angle that doesn't reflect the light directly

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence, but let us know if you do send it in. Each time the results are posted, it is a good learning experience. Thanks for the post.

10. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

I decided to sell it on eBay instead of rolling the dice on grading…especially since the current turnaround times are just shy of an eon. So I guess the market will be the ultimate determination of its current value.

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted