1909s Found in Estate Sale Cigar Box with 10lbs of copper and other

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Mark Morris, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Mark Morris

Mark Morris Active Member

Hi All,

I bought a Cigar box from an Estate Sale along with another 10lbs of copper and 10 pieces of silver. While searching the box my son found this.

Opinions !!!! 1909 s idhp obv.jpg 1909 s idhp rev.jpg

Richard gladfelter and Garlicus like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

4. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Looks fake to me.

NOS likes this.
  5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I have my suspicions of that one. It looks fake to me.

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how many dies created the 09'S?
    I searched some past auctions and can't find a match to the MM positioning.

7. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Positioning looks similar to the PCGS pic here http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/2238

Color is a little hinky, but figure that's just due to the lighting, or whatever.

That 1st feather looks a little off.

Hopefully it's a legit coin.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  8. Mark Morris

I hope it is a legit coin too...

Coin is 3.08grams i have to measure another time the diameter... No Caliper

Here are a few pics taken with my S9 with other lighting

20180616_214559.jpg 20180616_214726.jpg 20180616_214801.jpg 20180616_214608.jpg

9. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Coin is not legit it's an ali baba special. The large raised line at a little after 12 o'clock on the obverse should be enough by itself to tell you that.

Only a single obverse die for the 1909 S, not sure how many reverse dies.
    'Mint State 1909-S cents reveal weak feathertips, which evidently was due to a deficiency in the single obverse die used for this issue.'

And a die that lacked a large die gouge or scratch in the position of OP's fake.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/503/

10. Mark Morris

I was concerned about the coins color, but you point to The horizontal line above the second and third feather of headdress? I have seen others in graded coins with similar horizontal lines in the 1909-s above the second feather of the headdress including the coin used by pcgs on their page about the coin(s)... But i will make an appointment with a dealer to verify it being fake.

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/2238 while the horizontal line is similar in size it is not in the same position... Possibly dirt or lint?

I think its highly possible if not 100% fake but for other reasons. It weighs 3.08g and i did measure it at 19mm. Color is not right... Does not even come close to other IHP's i have.

11. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

Nice find. I also hope it is a legit.

12. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

100% fake, there is a specific set of details on these coins that is a dead give away. Who ever is making these, assuming they are trying to pass them as real, does not understand the original die sinking process and consistently makes the same mistake. I don't want to bring it up in a public forum, but no doubt this is fake.

13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Had me going for a second, but there's something about the lettering and date that do have me concerned that it is, as mentioned, "an Alibaba special". It just looks slightly... off.

I'm highly suspicious, but at least it sounds like you're not into it for very much money. Sounds like a fun lot, regardless.

And a big lot. Ten pounds? Wow.

14. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Looks off to me too, especially the rim on the obverse...

15. Mark Morris

I agree.... There is much about this coin that seems off. However for me what really stands out is the color of the coin. No matter what i use to take photos of the coin. The Lighting so forth i cannot capture the true color. The only way to describe the color is to say this... Go down to Home Depot and buy a couple brand new copper fittings. An elbow or copper strap. I guarantee you that this coin is as red as those new copper elbows.

Attached Files:

Seattlite86 and NOS like this.
  16. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

I was looking at that, as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted