1909 wheat penny value

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kyle michaelis, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Kyle michaelis

Kyle michaelis New Member

image.jpg image.jpg Hello,

I am completely new to coin collecting but found this the other day.

What is this worth?

image.jpg

Attached Files:

bruthajoe and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Mabey a buck at the most,its not a v.d.b or (S)and pretty common in that condition.Just keep it still a 100+ year old piece of history.

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

It's a nice keepsake/memento but has little value. The coin is sealed in lucite so it can never be recovered, at least not safely.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  5. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Sealed in lucite... value $0.01... nice momento but no longer any value as a collectable coin

6. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

It may be worth more as a general political collectable...like a pin or banner, etc...worth keeping for a while and test the waters in a few years, but still likely not much beyond a few dollars.

Oldhoopster and tommyc03 like this.
  7. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Arguably it's worth more as a political collectible, although probably not more than a few dollars, unfortunately. It was probably given out at a national or regional gathering of Republican-aligned activists and donors that year, if I had to guess.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

It might be interesting if you could locate Mr. Steele and find out how many were made and the background behind it, other than what is stated on the card.

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Cool! Since you say you are a new collector, I’ll offer one thing. With coins the value is almost always tied to the condition of the coin. That is an honest and well worn coin so there is little intrinsic value. There were some Lincoln cents minted that year that were quite valuable but this is not one of them. Still is a cool piece though.

Danomite likes this.
  10. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

That shouldn’t be all that hard to do; he’s currently a political analyst with MSNBC. However, the odds of him responding are quite low in actuality.

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

@Kyle michaelis First of all, welcome to numismatics and welcome to Coin Talk! There are a lot of good people here who will be willing to help you with any questions you may have. Coin collecting is fun, and we certainly won't tell you what to collect. That is entirely up to you. If you want to learn more, may I suggest purchasing "A Guide Book of United States Coins" AKA The Red Book. You don't have to necessarily get a current edition, you can get one that is a few years old at reduced cost. Good luck! redbook.jpg

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The coin itself is only worth face value as it’s encased in lucite. The value of everything, the coin, the paperweight and the paperwork of authenticity would sell for $10-15 in an antique store. If C a I had that, I’d keep it instead of selling it in my shop. Welcome to CT.

13. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

When I saw the label with 1809-2009 I thought that maybe you got all three!!!
    The 1809, 1909, and 2009.
    I understand not giving out the 1809 but no 2009’s?
    Being in lucite you still have a nice coaster with a 1909 Lincoln cent.
    Since the 1809 and 2009's are missing, I'll post the images anyway.

1809.jpg
    2009.jpg

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  14. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

it's interesting, and I like that you have the info card with it. I haven't seen this before but there must be more out there I'd think.

Trying to free coins from lucite rarely works out for anyone attempting it.

As far as value, the value is actually in the piece as a whole. Definitely Political, but it also falls into exonumia category too I think.... it's worth what someone would pay for it...
    anywhere from $10-$50 to the right buyers in an auction format I think, IF, i were to see one sell, I could see my self dropping a $20 for it, NOT that I'm in the market for one or making an offer, I'm not. Just saying I could see a $20 without much thought happening.

It's sort of a keepsake, memento, paperweight, a nicknack of sorts. It's cool, I'd keep it on my desk.

I'm curious if it's a cube or a rectangular (thiner and not a cube) if it's thiner it's likely supposed to stand up on end like a desk plaque type of thing.

thanks for sharing. I don't find this anywhere by searching on the internet.

15. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

A year or so back we had a member try to smash coins out of a Lucite block. He said the block shattered in shards that were sharper than glass.

Draft saved Draft deleted