1909 VDB

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by NewbietoCoins, Dec 31, 2019.

1. NewbietoCoins

NewbietoCoins Well-Known Member

Good evening CT!

I was curious if any of you thought it'd be worth it to send my 1909 VDB in for grading? My thought is it would grade low MS. Probably MS63? What are your thoughts? 20191228_145910.jpg 20191228_145918.jpg

DBDc80 and Islander80-83 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Good evening @NewbietoCoins- I'd say no. Unless you use an ANACS 10 coin special offering. Nice coin though. icon_smile_thumbsup.gif It would look great in a Dansco!

Collecting Nut and NewbietoCoins like this.
  4. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

I think it would grade at 62-63. But it is not worth the cost of grading. At best ms63 is $30.. (red book)

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I couldn't agree more. The grading cost are too high for whatvthis coin would bring and you'd never recover those costs. Put in a flip to protect it and be happy you have a nice example.

6. NewbietoCoins

NewbietoCoins Well-Known Member

That is what I figured. It definitely is a nice example of a 1909 VDB. I would say it is MS62 and I'll stick it in a flip to keep it nice! :)

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Happy New Year!

Mike185 and NewbietoCoins like this.
  8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Whenever I try to decide if I should send a coin in, I have to weigh the costs. How much did I spend on the coin, and is it worth the $30 to send the coin in? If the gain in value that I could get from selling it is more than the cost, then I consider it. (Or, if the gain in liquidity would make it significantly easier to sell for a premium, I consider it).

I think that coin has a pretty good shot at 63/64 RD. That makes it a $60/$90 coin. Now, if you only spent $5 on it, it's probably worth it. If you've already got $50 in the coin, however, not worth it. Generally, I don't really consider sending in coins unless they are in the $250 to $300 range, unless I really need it for a set I'm building in the Registry.

For information, I use the NGC price guide listed here: https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explor...9-1958-pscid-99/1909-vdb-1c-msrd-coinid-12425

9. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

icon_smile_agree.gif with that! Unfortunately, no matter how much you try a save/calculate costs and off setting costs, when it comes to coins........in the long run (IMO) forget it, it's almost always a loser. But I'm not a dealer or investor in coins either.

NewbietoCoins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted