1909 vdb

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by antique_angel, Jun 16, 2011.

1. antique_angel

antique_angel New Member

I've had this for a few weeks. FINALLY, I have got a decent enough picture to post.
    If anyone could tell me what this is worth, or what you would pay for it, that'd be great!
    I Personally think its in amazing condition. I can't find a single scratch or wear.
    The picture was taken through a magnifying glass and is in a 2x2 so there is quite a bit of glare in one photo :mad:
    If you'd like more pictures (or of the front)
    I can upload those...

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• vdb 2.jpg
      vdb 2.jpg
      File size:
      248.5 KB
      Views:
    • vdb.jpg
      vdb.jpg
      File size:
      247.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

I'm going to guess Ex-Fine to AU, nice coloring.

4. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

I see no wear on the reverse and although the color is no longer the original mint-red the coin does appear to be free of spotting, but we need to see a full shot of the obverse to give you an accurate grade and value. Just based on what I can see, maybe you have a coin that would grade MS64BN-MS65BN if there isn't wear on the obverse. Could be worth up to $40-$60 or so. But there are also two doubled die obverse varieties of the 1909 VDB, if you have one of those the coin could be worth significantly more. Need a clear full shot of the obverse to be able to tell though.

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I agree with most of what illini420, but i doubt that it will go as high as 65. However, without seeing the obverse. it is little better than a stab.

6. antique_angel

antique_angel New Member

Give me a minute guys and I'll see what I can do. Getting pictures through a magnifying glass is hard.
    If I don't have enough lighting I may have to wait till morning, but we'll see.

7. antique_angel

antique_angel New Member

[​IMG]
    i'll upload better ones without a shadow tomorrow

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

If I am seeing everything right, I would say 63

9. antique_angel

antique_angel New Member

how much is it worth?

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

11. Louie_Two_Bits

Louie_Two_Bits Chump for Change

And try capturing the image directly from above, not at an angle. By capturing the coin at an angle, most of the coin is out of focus and the angle can also make a coin appear to be in better condition than what it really is in-hand, as flaws and blemishes can be masked using angles and lighting...that is if you truly want an accurate assessment of your coin's condition.

-LTB

12. antique_angel

antique_angel New Member

Taking it directly above actually covers the whole coin in a shadow since I'm taking it through a magnifying glass.
    If its covered in a shadow, you can't see anything. If I don't use the magnifier, you see less details. So I tried my best.
    BUT with this coin it is actually much nicer in person through the magnifying glass than it is in the pictures.

13. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Not a doubled die obverse, but still a very nice looking VDB. I'd say MS64BN since it's very clean and can't see any major hits. The coin also doesn't appear to have any spots and has enough luster to get it to MS64BN I think... Worth maybe $30-$40 I'd say.

14. antique_angel

antique_angel New Member

I paid $11.50 so looks like I did alright! :)
    Thanks

15. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

You did very alright there Angel,
    That is a really nice 09-vdb. I'd say 64-65. Very nice pick up!

Thanks for posting it
    Mark in NJ

16. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

It's very difficult to determine the grade without full pictures of the obverse and reverse. Based on the darkness of the patina, I would say this coin is AU-55 which would be more consistent with the price you paid. It's worth about $10 or so IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted