1909 VDB Lincoln Did I mess up?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Brandi Wilson, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Brandi Wilson

Brandi Wilson ... a kid at heart

I just bought this online. Did I mess up? Screenshot_20200310-230047.png Screenshot_20200310-230055.png
    If I did I'll be ok just a lesson learned but I need to know for my own good.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Possibly. Great Southern has quite a reputation around here for, let's say, casting their coins in the best POSSIBLE light in their photos. You won't be able to tell until it arrives, though.

Islander80-83 and Paul M. like this.
  4. Brandi Wilson

Oh no... I figured I messed up after I bought it but I have a shopping problem. How much is it worth if it is in good shape? Maybe I'll get lucky.

5. Martha Lynn

Martha Lynn Well-Known Member

Red book shows $30 in MS 63
    They show a Matte proof in same MS 63 $5500 .
    That would be the difference in the two.
    400 - 600 estimated issued. I don't think you have
    the matte though, and there are a few flaws. The
    wheat stalk on right shows wear. The lettering
    has some things going on too. Best of luck though.
    Maybe the heavy hitters will have better news for ya.
    I'm going F 12 $17

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  6. Brandi Wilson

Ok thanks Well I paid $38 for it I didn't lose a whole lot of money thank goodness.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

F12? No offense, but you need to either practice grading wheat cents or get your eyes checked. Here are the pictures in Photograde for F12. Look at those and tell me the OP coin has that much wear:

7997A4FB-A06B-4000-8E4D-A4C429EEEF86.png
    2B513897-AE02-4290-AE99-9EA87C4EF383.jpeg

scott.french3 likes this.
  8. Martha Lynn

None taken. If you are saying it grades better than that
    I would say at best VF 20. Look at the VDB Barely visible.
    One step above that is EF 40, but all details must be sharp.
    I don't see sharp. I see damage on reverse motto. That is
    why I went with F 12.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Tonkawa Bill likes this.
  9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That coin is mint state red. It is impossible to say what grade exactly with those ridiculously overexposed photographs but MS62-63 RD would seem in the right ballpark.

10. Martha Lynn

Hey that's great news for me I guess. I have over 3500
    wheats that are maybe I or 2 grades below OP's. I better get to selling them. Thnx much

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

They charged you for a coin in the low MS range.
    It doesn't look like you did too bad. how about some photos when you get it.

Martha Lynn likes this.
  12. Martha Lynn

I think you have a beautiful 1909 VDB Brandi. I have two and yours just put mine to shame....martha

13. Brandi Wilson

Oh yeah of course! And I'm ordering a camera soon so I should be able to take better pictures than I have been taking with the camera on my phone. The LG stylo 5 is not known for its camera capabilities :hilarious: but TMI my bill is only $30 a month.

14. Brandi Wilson

I just needed it as an example for my album. I'm trying to put together a really nice album for myself. I don't know how to grade yet but I'm just picking out pennies that look really nice to me. I'm thinking about taking classes to learn these types of things. What do you guys think about that? Should I do it? Screenshot_20200310-205215.png

Tonkawa Bill and Paul M. like this.
  15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's one sharp-looking cent, Martha. The pictures can be sharper. That could be MS, though, every bit of it.
    Why don't you keep them? You know, like collectors do.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  16. Martha Lynn

Well like I said. 3500 hundred pennies lying around is a bit much .There are dozens in most years. I guess I should get
    busy and cherry pick the best and sell off the rest for like
    3 -5 cents a piece. Way too many too keep !
    BTW that was not an offer to sell .

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  17. Martha Lynn

If there is damage on the reverse motto,
    and wear in the hair,
    plus wear on both wheat stalks,
    and wear on the VDB can this still be considered
    mint state ? I am wondering because I need to
    know about that when I grade my wheats. Mine
    may be in better shape than I thought. Maybe
    I am being to critical.....thnx martha

18. Brandi Wilson

What's that? Is it a die crack? Screenshot_20200311-020628~2.png

Pickin and Grinin and paddyman98 like this.
  19. Brandi Wilson

Well at least Screenshot_20200311-072557~2.png I got 30 days to return it if I don't like it for some reason.

20. Nick Zynko

Nick Zynko ZmanFla

Hi Martha, Please be advised that all circulation strike coin features become softer as the minting process wears the die's features and/or also the continued die polishing during the run turns sharp sharp features into weak features. Hence why the TPG companies are labeling First strike coins in slabs-they bring a premium vs late die states with softer strikes.

The VDB and U in United States are a little softly struck. Once minted this penny was ejected into a hopper full of other freshly minted pennies taking on its first small scars on the rim, obv and rev. Then her brand new penny at the time, was bagged (poured into a bag) and thrown onto a pallet, then put on a truck and transported a long distance. That process adding a lot more small but very significant scars known as bag marks.

When grading any circulation strike Lincoln Penny, the coin's color (Red,Brown or Mixed) its Strike (Sharp or slightly soft) plus the amount of bag marks are the difference between a MS60 and MS70 perfect penny. There isn't any significant wear on her 110 year old coin that I can detect. A very nice MS 63 1909 VDB IMHO. I have done business with GSC for years and they tend to flood their coin pictures with light making it very hard to judge in some cases. She didn't get flogged on the purchase and if she likes the coin and not trying to resell at a profit, then that is all that matters. You are well on your way to becoming a hawk eyed grader, keep it up. I want to invite you to negotiate all my coin purchases from now on! :)

RonSanderson and jafo50 like this.
  21. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

My opinion, I wouldn’t waste money on that course. It may be a great course, I don’t know, never taken it.

If you keep reading and collecting and hanging around here, you will get all of the education you need.

No need to go from 0-60. Time and experience is the best teacher.

Draft saved Draft deleted