1909 VDB issues in dies or doubling? both sides

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by KevinB, Apr 2, 2016.

1. KevinB

KevinB Member

WIN_20160402_163659.JPG WIN_20160402_163815.JPG WIN_20160402_163830.JPG WIN_20160402_163836.JPG WIN_20160402_163659.JPG WIN_20160402_163815.JPG WIN_20160402_163830.JPG WIN_20160402_163836.JPG can anyone enlighten me on what I have here. the coin is a nice coin , but under magnification to can see allot of doubling or die issues and even some letters not having depth.

WIN_20160402_163659.JPG WIN_20160402_163815.JPG WIN_20160402_163830.JPG WIN_20160402_163836.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

machine doubling, both sides.

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Very neat. Not the die or these should have been found immediately in 1909 as EVERYONE was saving them.

I'll bet this coin was double struck in collar with some ejection doubling thrown in! I've never seen this amount of "push" on a coin with common ejection doubling.

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

You'd lose.
    You have now.

6. KevinB

KevinB Member

it is pretty neat.. I have been researching this coin for a month or so. found it in a roll.
    anyway. it was so odd and not totally matching anything I saw or read I was thinking it was an anomaly of sorts.

7. KevinB

KevinB Member

so does this take away from the value?

8. Insider

We'll see.

9. Insider

Not for me...adds value as it would make a nice coin to discuss with error experts like @rickmp.

10. KevinB

KevinB Member

I was reading my mint error boo (Alan Herbert). Would this be considered a rotated second strike over a centered first strike?

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. Insider

Don't get your hopes up yet as one expert on minting errors insists your coin is just machine doubled. He has already demonstrated his expertise on die making & minting in another thread here today.

In the case of MD, that would make your coin one of the finest, and clearest examples I have ever seen; so it would still have a "value" above normal for dreamers such as me.:woot::woot:

12. KevinB

KevinB Member

Yeah, I'll contain my enthusiasm..
    The definition and reading does explain the rotation of impressions as well as loss of relief on first strike.

13. KevinB

KevinB Member

I have variuos coins of high grade, in my view ,and some possible errors.

You guys feel slabbing them is the way to go and which service?

14. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I don't appreciate your snarky attitude.

I'd like to know what evidence you have that proves me wrong. Until you can provide it, keep your attitude to yourself.

15. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

It appears nice toning from where I sit as well!

16. Insider

Not so...:angelic: You have demonstrated a exceptional knowledge today on MD. It's ALSO certain that I did not take your "short quip" as a sarcastic post, just an educational comment for the OP and myself. And a BIG THANKS for it too :kiss:

PS. Any evidence either way is on the coin. Wish it were mine!

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Don't let Insider suck you into his world of fiction. Just ignore him.

18. KevinB

KevinB Member

It really does, quite pretty coin! Looks more red until you tilt or adjust lighting, then you can get the nice tones.

19. KevinB

KevinB Member

Meaning?
    I see all the literature is true on the heated discussions that have come over these coins ..hahaha

20. Insider

This IS NOT a heated discussion. Three numismatists are leaving opinions about your coin...hang on as at the end of this we'll each learn something. I'm sending photos of your coin to some error coin professionals as I am really curious how your coin occurred. I'll keep you and the others here posted.

Your coin is very unusual and I would have even gone with the MD opinion as an easy out (and as I posted - I believe that may be some of the case here) However, that would not explain the characteristics of this coin's rim with the flat shelf "outside" the "fin" at its inner edge.

21. KevinB

KevinB Member

Understood, I appreciate everyone interest also.
    I can make more pics if need be.

I was going to ask about the rim as well. Quite curious

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted