1909 VBD from my intro

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Vet4Coins, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Vet4Coins

Vet4Coins Member

1909VBD.JPG 1909VBD2.JPG

So this is the 1909 VBD I purchased, I used an app on my iphone called PCGS photo grade to do my best to try and grade it. The problem I have is the app doesn't really tell you about pitting, scratches, coloring and such so I just match it up with the one I think it looks closest to. Please feel free to educate my sorry backside! I think I see it as an VF.....?

dlhill132 and charlietig like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

it is so dark to tell. wait for other options...

4. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Welcome to the forum! In my opinion, it is about a VF30 because the hairs on the top of Lincolns head are well defined, but not so much in the back of his head. Also, on the reverse the lines on the stock are fairly well defined, but partially blended together in some areas. I am not a Lincoln cent expert though, others likely have a better explanation =) Overall, a nice looking coin with great color!

5. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

First welcome here anytime my Army brother.
    Your photos are to dark to really give a good opinion or grade. I have a VDB that's been posted before it also had the woody lines the reason I bought it.
    Take yours out of the holder & try to post better pics. I'd like to help you just as many of us here would.

6. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Welcome to CT.

I use Photograde, as well. Knowing that I may be "excited" about a coin, I always err on the side of caution and under grade the coin, as well as under pay (30-50%) for that grade, as the guide prices are just one opinion of the value, plus that value includes the cost of having the coin sent out and graded. That plus the fact that I am generally frugal with my money (yet, on occasion, generous).

Using my example, and your (and Brandon's) thoughts on the coin being VF30, which PCGS has valued at $17, I would pay $10. In fact, I think that is what I paid for mine, lol.

This is just one man's opinion/method.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  7. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

And here I thought you meant me... Lol

8. A photo with more light would be helpful. I would expect it to be au to ms. I have trouble capturing a good image of a dark red brown cent with luster. Does the coin have luster? (if yes low ms - if no luster then au 55+ or so)

9. Vet4Coins

Vet4Coins Member

Thank you all for your insights, will get to work on better pictures currently trying to set up a mini photo set for my coins. Will post soon as I get them taken!

10. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I also think the coin is AU or ms based on the pics. Look at the wheat ears and some luster coming through

11. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Thanks for your service and welcome to CT.

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

As others have said, you really need to get more light on the coin, but from what I can see, the VF estimates seem rather low.

13. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

I agree with kazuma78. I think it's either AU58 or brown unc. Those of you grading it VF need to check out the sharpness of the wheat stalks and the detail on Lincoln's head and compare those features with a grading guide. Just my opinion, of course, for what it's worth.

14. Vet4Coins

Vet4Coins Member

Here are some better pictures.

Attached Files:

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

AU details. There is a lot of rim damage on that coin.

mikenoodle and Vet4Coins like this.
  16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Welcome to CT. I'm thinking AU details as well.

mikenoodle, Vet4Coins and kazuma78 like this.
  17. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

The reverse is really nice. The obverse kinda stops me a little shy. But over all I can agree with you all. But I'm no expert either. It's a great coin to add to your collection. I just picked up my 1 & only 09 VDB a few months ago. Didn't buy it for the VDB though loved the markings, people call it a woody (laugh now).
    Awesome buy vet4coins

Vet4Coins likes this.
  18. Vet4Coins

Vet4Coins Member

Is this a coin that should be sent in for grading?

mikenoodle likes this.
  19. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

No.

In this case, I don't think that the coin would justify the cost of grading.

Only send in a coin when the difference in value between the graded coin and the ungraded coin justifies the cost.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    Smojo and Vet4Coins like this.
  20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT!

Vet4Coins likes this.
  21. Vet4Coins

Vet4Coins Member

What type of holder should I be using with these coins I see plastic sleeves are not good for long term use.

Draft saved Draft deleted