1909 s vdb

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by snaz, Oct 11, 2009.

1. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Hi guys,
    Just picked up this 09 S VDB
    any opinions on grades and such? Or any comments of any sort?
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful counterfeit lol. My guess is $2, off eBay, and here's a really wild guess, maybe from China :goofer:.

4. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

I'm missing it..why do you think it's counterfeit?

stainless

5. raider34

raider34 Active Member

The S is wrong, the color is off, and the serious weakness in the high points, actually most of Lincoln is missing, plus the rim is off (especially at 12 o'clock on the obv and rev, and really bad by the left wheat stalk on the rev).

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

AAH!! The prodigal reappears.

The "S" looks like it is #2 and I see nothing specific to point to it being a fake. Still, something just does not look right. If it is real, 64RB?

7. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Something looks off on that coin. I want to say it is counterfeit, but it could've just been cleaned. I would have to see it in hand. Until then I can't really grade it.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Hey Dick, you ever seen an '09-S VDB struck with rusty dies ? I can't recall ever seeing one.

Other than what appears to be a weak strike and the rough surfaces in places, I can't really see anything that makes me suspicious of the coin. The stike issue could just be the pics.

9. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

That is most definitely a counterfiet. The rusted dies... The soft profile...The fat rims...The lettering (especially the date) appears to be a little fatter then normal... It's no good.

10. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I'm surprised I thought this one was an obvious counterfeit. But I agree with Matt compared to 3 random '09svdb off Heritage, the letters look slightly fatter, and shorter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also the E and the R in E Pluribus Unum look way off to me:
    [​IMG]

11. pennywise

pennywise Collector of dust

Also, compare the wheat tips and the top of the N in one, it's rounded instead of flat.

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I can't say I have ever seen one struck on rusty dies. As for the weak strike (stike?), I think that is the picture. The fat lettering makes no sence to me unless it is the picture - it could be, but..... However, the part I understand the least are the rims. Those triple rims are on opposite ends of the coin (obverse and reverse) . Plus, on the reverse rim, there are weak spots by the tips of both wheats, but the top middle is strong. How can that be?

13. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

When I zoom in on it, it becomes blurry, but it looks to me like the "N" in United is the deep-cut RDV-002 variety that was on the '09 vdb. Maybe one of those that had the s glued on?

14. GDJMSP

It can't. Given everything that everybody has mentioned, I think you need to return that coin pronto snaz.

15. snaz

snaz Registry fever

I would but I don't think I could afford the shipping back to hong kong, ;)
    you guys are good, this coin is absolutely counterfeit, and I was all excited to show you guys. As soon as I get my computer back I'll post a huge picture of both sides, and do a little write up on it.

16. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

And no doubt there are many others out there like it. Dang counterfeiters! They'll ruin the hobby if we let 'em. I recently purchased an '09 s vdb on ebay and seeing this post makes me grateful that I went with a certified coin.

17. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

The wheats are completely wrong....along with many other things.

18. GDJMSP

Well point 'em out then. That's how we learn :thumb:

I never even thought about the fat letters, but it's plainly obvious once somebody mentions them. I tend to look for other clues first, like the raised metal I mentioned. So if I miss stuff :eek: - imagine how some other folks do.

Explain "how" the wheats are different for example.

19. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I wish I could have it hand and inspect it, before I would call it a counterfeit

20. GDJMSP

Did you miss this ?

21. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I sure did brain fart 1 for today.
    my blunders/ brain fart are happening to much:goofer:

Draft saved Draft deleted