1909-S VDB Should I resubmit it?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by josh's coins, May 5, 2015.

1. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I've got a very nice 1909-S VDB certified by PCGS MS65 with CAC. Should I resubmit it to NGC with hopes of obtaining MS66 or MS65+ ?

IMG_0084.png IMG_0085.png IMG_0086.png
    Friend of mine took pictures for me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Do you really think it'll upgrade?

Why not ask them (NGC) if you can attend a show?

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I could not possible tell from those pictures, but early red/brown coins rarely go above 65 - very rarely.

Savy, gijoe76, rzage and 2 others like this.
  5. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Now, if it had a Gold CAC!

rzage and josh's coins like this.
  7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You have it in the cult plastic at 65 and there's nothing distracting on it I can see. That's a $5000 coin, in my book. I'd keep it where it is, just throw out the book on it when you go to sell it. Your bidder says he can get a PCGS Red at that grade for less, tell him to get that spotted Red, you're selling a flawless coin. I'd of course want to see better pictures, but this one looks flawless on these pictures.

green18 likes this.
  8. josh's coins

could it possibly get MS65+ or would resubmitting be a waste of time and money?

9. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

It is a very nice coin. Re-submitting, in my opinion, would be a waste. Put hey who knows...do you feel lucky....well do you _ _ _ _!! :beaver:

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

A 65+ is essentially the same as a 65 CAC, so I wouldn't do it, personally.

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Leave it as it is! Why risk losing it or it getting damaged somehow. Like Treashunt stated, go to a coin show where you can show it to NGC.

12. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

No and if go to a show there's no guarantee the grader will agree with whom ever you ask

13. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Waste I'd say. That's one of the things the CAC is for, isn't it? If the coin was superior to the grade assigned they'd give a gold bean. And like C-B-D said, the green bean is like a "+", so I'd just leave it be. Super nice coin Josh! (Thumbs-up emoji)

josh's coins likes this.
  14. josh's coins

Eh, I don't know about $5000 Greysheet has it at $4700 while pcgs has it at $3500

15. Bill1517

Bill1517 Active Member

Personally, I dont think you are going to get any higher than you already have

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

They are going for $2,000 to $3,000 on Heritage.

Coinchemistry 2012 and Bedford like this.
  17. gijoe76

gijoe76 A Penny Saved is a Penny earned

Remember CAC does not recognize + or * grades. They just certify it at the grade. Now like someone had mentioned earlier in the thread if it had received a gold bean, maybe. Awesome coin as is

18. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I agree with rlm's cents , after all he taught me and many others , all I know about grading MS Lincolns . He definitely knows every nuance about the 2 top tpgs .

19. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Now just do the homework on prices realized between a NGC 66 and PCGS 65 and that will tell you all you need to know

20. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

A good distinction , better yet for future references check out 67 prices between the two .

21. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Aside from the time and cost it would take to regrade the coin, I see little downside to attempting an upgrade. However, it has been my experience that coins in this value range ($2k-$3k for an MS65RB or $4k-$5k for an MS66RB) are much more liquid with a CAC sticker and in a PCGS holder. It might certainly earn a green CAC sticker in an MS66RB holder, but if it doesn't then you may make money while having to work harder to sell the piece. Similarly, if you send it to NGC and it goes MS66RB you may again make money at the expense of possibly reducing its liquidity.

You have many options and if time and money are not pressing then you can investigate them thoroughly.

However, also keep in mind that copper can spot very easily and if the coin is repeatedly cracked out of a holder for recertification that you may end up with an MS65RB with an unfortunate spot and that would be a shame.

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted