1909 S VDB Question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Indianhead65, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Like I said, I've never had an issue with them. I consider them to be a reputable firm so I'm very please to hear this. I'm sure you could have retired for a refund but you had the conversion and made the choice that was best. Congrats and I'm sure you will get one that is to your liking and fills your needs.

Indianhead65 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

So Kevin 'apologized' that you're not happy with the coin?

Kevin didn't apologize for sending you the wrong coin? He didn't apologize for posting a picture with an ID# of one specific coin and sending you a different, unappealing coin?

Kevin didn't take ownership of the mistake, accidental or intentional that he made. I would have graciously thanked him and requested a full refund. I would also never do business with L&C again. @Indianhead65 I do thank you for bringing this unfortunate situation to our attention. I, for one, will never patronize L&C based on your experience.

You gave Kevin the opportunity to own the 'mistake'. Him passing the problem back to you was an incredibly poor business move. It made him look real bad, in my eyes.

4. Collecting Nut

We only know what we were told. We weren't part of the phone call and we weren't part of the solution. The OP is pleased with the results of the call so please be happy for him.

5. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

This is true. Didn't sound like he was dissatisfied, so it wouldn't make sense for him to fabricate a story.

That's not necessary. My being happy for him or not should have no bearing on his happiness.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  6. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I thank you all for your input. It helped me make the decision that I made today by contacting them and making it right in my eyes. I appreciate all of your comments. @Collecting Nut I think I remember you from long ago when I was just Indianhead on here....14 years ago.

7. Indianhead65

Maybe thats impossible....you weren't here then....

8. Indianhead65

After I send it back tomorrow it'll most likely get dumped on someone else....unfortunately

9. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

So, I have a few questions.

One...did he actually apologize that "you aren't happy with the coin?" The reason I ask is that this tells me they didn't take any ownership or admit to doing anything wrong. I have never done business with L&C before, but at this point I want to decide if this is a company that is worth my business.

If he apologized and admitted an error (of some kind) and took ownership...that's a good sign. If they said they were sorry that "you aren't happy with the coin" then they are sorta blaming you. However, they sent you something that you didn't buy...at best it's a mistake and worst it's a bait'n'switch.

Everyone makes mistakes. That's just the way it is. How we handle mistakes reveals our true character. For me, this is an important factor as to where I decided to spend my limited funds. I want to work with a dealer I can trust.

Also, did they offer to actually refund you or did they only offer to replace it? I would tell them you want the coin you bought online (you have the serial number) and see what they say? If you want the coin replaced and are happy with that...then do that. But, there are a couple red flags with what you said here to the quality of their character.

Indianhead65 likes this.
  10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

There is nothing wrong with selling the coin...but they need to advertise THAT coin.

Beefer518 and Indianhead65 like this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Impossible as I've only been a member for 5 years and 5 months come December 10.

12. Collecting Nut

I only said that because he turned to CT members for help. We should all be pleased he worked things out to his satisfaction.

Indianhead65 and Danomite like this.
  13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I 100% agree here. If I find a coin online and buy it, I expect to have that coin show up in my mailbox. I would have been adamite that I get the coin in the add, not a random coin of the same grade in back stock.

I often search mint sets when in a coin shop, the first time doing this in a cross town shop, I wanted to buy XYZ set. The dealer then said hold on a second and returned with a set from the back storage area. And said we do not sell what is on our shelves unless it s the last one. That will be x dollars. I straight looked at him with confusion and walked out.

Forgetting that this was their procedure. I went back in not to long ago and had my eyes on a 1953 proof set in it's original cellophane packaging, tissue and box. Worth a couple hundred bucks. When I said I will take it he said hold on, I stopped him right there and said this set appeals to me, if I don't get this set right here, you will lose my business. He started in with are you gonna break it up, I had to politely say are you going to sell me the set I want or do you only sell the sets you want, Why is this set on the shelf if you don't want to sell it? Knowing he was in a precarious position he sold me the set.

With all said here I wonder how often this type of thing happens.
    A newbie buys a coin and gets one completely different and
    A) Notices it and does not speak up
    B) Is oblivious and the dealer does it again and again.

14. Indianhead65

Thats what I thought....I must be thinking of someone else

Kentucky and Collecting Nut like this.
  15. Collecting Nut

What? There's someone else that thinks like me? Is the world ready for that? Lol

Indianhead65 and Danomite like this.
  16. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Stock photos are not acceptable on key date coins...

Photos, Shipping, Returns, & Layaways (lccoins.com)

KSorbo and Indianhead65 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted