1909-S VDB grade?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by vent1020, Oct 20, 2017.

1. vent1020

vent1020 Junior Member

Wow, sorry this turned into such a political nightmare of a thread. Anyway, I made the purchase of the 09-S VDB. I paid just about a grand for it. I took some more pictures in different lighting to see if it changes or helps anyone's opinion of the coin. The first 4 pictures most represent what the coin looks like in hand. As always, I really value your opinions on this. If you need anymore pics, let me know. Thank you.

Attached Files:

Santinidollar and Nathan401 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

You planning on slabbing it or keeping it as is?

4. vent1020

vent1020 Junior Member

I'd like to slab it, unless enough people tell me it wouldn't be worth it to. ;-)

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I would consider slabbing a "must," simply because like it or not this is an "investment" coin and prudence dictates that an investment's liquidity be maximized. There are plenty of collectors whose skills are up to purchasing one of these raw, but the authentication of a slab changes the math from "plenty" to "everybody." Get it into a slab. Don't even look back.

I remain reasonably confident in the authenticity of the coin. MM position is OK for #4. The stroke of the MM seems a bit narrow, and there is a known "shallow" quality in the upper vee of the N in ONE for this issue which are not present on this coin, but both can be appropriate for an early die state as evidenced by examples to be found in the Heritage archives. My previous opinion of High AU Details stands.

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'll give you a little advice. On this QC question, just as on the AT and NT questions, we never really want to rack our little brains too hard on those questions. Basically, what we're looking for is something that hasn't toned in any funky environment.

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I knew there was something I liked about you. ;)

8. vent1020

vent1020 Junior Member

I would love for it to grade MS, but more importantly is to not grade details. ;-) AU-58 would be good also. I am looking into submitting it to PCGS. I'll keep you all updated on what it returns as.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted