1909-S VDB grade?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by vent1020, Oct 20, 2017.

1. vent1020

vent1020 Junior Member

I am still learning the ins and outs of QC coins. Can you tell me if you guys think this would grade details QC or if it seems okay. What grade? As always, thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I don't know if that coin is real or fake. It's one of the most counterfeited coins in the world. A 1909-S VDB in that condition, would already be in a graded slab. If it's real, maybe it already came back questionable color and that's why it's not in a slab.
    If they felt the toning was unnatural it would come back questionable color.
    Why would anyone risk a 1909-S VDB by doctoring it with artificial toning?
    That's blasphemy.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  4. vent1020

vent1020 Junior Member

Well, the reason for the close ups is to show the "S" is in the correct position and serifs are parallel. The VDB also is correct with the diagonal crossbar in the "B" These are the areas counterfeiters usually mess up on. There is no doubt in my mind it is NOT counterfeited. I'm just worried about the color. That is my weak area. I'm sure there are rare coins like this out there that have not been sent in to a TPG. Even with the QC, I might purchase this coin as it is really nice.

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I have no problems with the gross diagnostics; on the small screen I'm viewing with, MM position is correct for #4 and VDB configuration passes. We'll stipulate for the moment it's genuine but I'm not calling it firm from a 5" screen. :)

I don't believe the color to be original. It's possible on a Lincoln, especially a high-resolution Mint State specimen, but I'm not 100% sure it's Mint State. Reverse has the nice progression of an album toned coin but the obverse does not and the colors are a bit too saturated for my expectation. Going with my gut (mostly), I feel it looks like it toned too fast after a chemical cleaning.

If it were available at AU Details (or maybe even Uncirculated Details) money, I would knock you down to get to it before you. It would not surprise me (although I'd disagree) to see it in a straight-graded MS 63 slab. I have it at high AU Details, Questionable Color, and just about as nice as a coin with that designation can get. It's an "I don't care if the color's fake" kind of coin. :)

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

@Jdiablo30 with your beautiful toners, you might have a good idea on this one.

Jdiablo30 likes this.
  7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Why do people say things like this? This drives me nuts! It's not true!

8. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

True. I think people are too used to coins only at coin shows. Some of us bought coins before the slabbing craze and are simply hoarders. I have a lot of high grade US coins not in slabs, including quite a few BU coins from the 19th century.

Not all great coins are slabbed, even today.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Amen! Yes, the same coins do circulate around the "show circuit" and I totally get that, but people who believe that there aren't TONS more slab-worthy coins that have never been near the Florida Gulf coast or Sunny California are kidding themselves, if not outright delusional. You need to get into backwoods country in the east coast states, my friends. VERY long held collections, many of which haven't been outside family hands since before TPGs were invented. Many are held by "important" old-money families, and others by common farmer families.

EDITED: POLITICAL

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2017
    ddoomm1 and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Why do people say things like this?
    Um, so you don't buy a key date counterfeit.
    In all of my thousands of coins, zero are slabbed.

11. Seattlite86

There's a difference between suggesting people buy slabbed coins to not get cheated/fooled and suggesting that rare coins are always slabbed. That's what they're getting at.

Insider likes this.
  12. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

IMO AU details-cleaned. The color came from from an album after it was in there for a long time after the cleaning.

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Three posts have been removed or edited. Infractions given to all for political comments. The " he started it" doesn't work, report it or else the backlash can get you also.

14. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Please allow me :angelic: to offer some advice. IMO, anyone who does not know that the OP's coin is a genuine 1909-S VDB from the five-inch images and the blown-up "S" mintmark should only purchase key date coins in TPGS slabs.

As for political statements, I don't know what's been edited but I'll bet the words ILLEGAL, LAW BREAKING, CRIMINAL, or something to that effect was in the comment. If we go back far enough, probably 98.9% of us had immigrant ancestors. We're very lucky we did. I did! :happy:

I agree with the Mods, let's stick to coins but I do enjoy reading the political opinions of others when we do it nicely.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  15. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Actually, there was ZERO political content in my post. None.

16. Seattlite86

I didn't see your post, but I recommend you don't argue with a moderator, they'll start calling you names and try to embarrass you...

Insider likes this.
  17. Insider

:rolleyes: I guess that's not why it has disappeared from the thread. Perhaps a personal attack? Trust me they are lots of fun :troll: but they tend to have grave consequences. :( I got a long and hurtful vacation last year.

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I was expecting you to show up to share your insight.... always a pleasure. :)

Oh, and as for the immigrant thing, while technically 100%, let's be fair and give those who were settlers the credit they deserve.

Insider likes this.
  19. Insider

Thank you. :happy:

I confess to self-editing :muted: the last few sentences in my original comment :jawdrop:so as not to cross a line by pointing out what should be the :rolleyes:obvious differences. :D

20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

For everyone's info, whatever you post is your responsibility. That includes any quotes that are in the message composing area when you press post. If such quotes violated the rules, thus your message will also with similar consequences. You have to make an action to include a quote, so you are responsible for its content. Political, language, religion, world events, etc. Jim

21. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I understand now, thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted