1909 S VDB for 99¢

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mountain Man, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Color seems off to me, too light.

4. Mountain Man

You know how tricky photos can be.

Ana Silverbell and Seattlite86 like this.
  5. Seattlite86

Agreed, but it seems overly pourous (which could also be from a worn die and grease) and there seems to be some damage. But it is a nice looking coin and one I cannot afford. :)

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

old49er likes this.
  7. robec

robec Junior Member

Wow, the seller has a feedback of over 460,000 with 100% positive score.

8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

9. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Im saying it is legit. Nothing really popping out to me as a problem. Maybe an old cleaning.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

I don't know. The mint mark looks more crisp than the date or the rest of the lettering.

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Well it's at $1400.

12. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

I would judge this coin as authentic with light wear but possibly cleaned. Price seems to be at the limit of its value now (I would not have bid over $1,200). What price will it sell for? Looking forward to that- good Sunday afternoon entertainment.

mlov43 likes this.
  13. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Hmm.

I'm a sucker for these. ...But I left my $1400-dollar bill back in Cleveland.
    Too rich for me.

I like those thin, crisp-looking numerals on the dates of these coins. Love that mintmark.

old49er and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  14. Rich Buck

Rich Buck Yukon Cornelius

Definitely a legit dealer. If I had the $ i'd bid on it even now.

15. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

It says in the description that the coin has been polished. Maybe that's why it seems too light?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. Ana Silverbell

I did not see this the first time I looked at the coin on eBay. It is represented as "circulated," which I appreciated knowing. What I don't like about this is the seller starts a narrative about shipping charges, then slips in a comment like "coin has been polished." Really? Not saying the seller is dishonest since it is the responsibility of any prospective buyer to read the entire listing but in my opinion, "polished" should have been included in the headline description, not raised within a discussion about shipping charges.

Etcherman and micbraun like this.
  17. Mountain Man

This is their regular stated post, always saying the same thing and then a bit about the coin itself. I've purchased many coins, mostly Buffalo nickels, from vette 1986 and always been happy with them.

18. Seattlite86

Thanks for pointing it out, and that's exactly why it looks off. I didn't read the description, but mostly because I can't afford the coin. I am appreciative that they at least put it in the description, albeit in the middle. I would say they accurately described the coin and that anyone who is willing to slap $1,000+ on a coin should bother to read the full description before clicking bid. I personally see no dishonesty here, but respect your sentiments @Ana Silverbell

19. Ana Silverbell

I have bought from vette1986 (I think that used to be this seller's name) but not much. I have been happy with my purchases from vette1986. As I said before, I do NOT consider anything the seller did dishonest but I do think its better practice to list such an important factor more prominently. Then again, this apparently has never been an irreconcilable issue for this seller: 460,000 with 100% positive feedback.

20. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Oh, right! The Red Velvet Guy (aka vette1986).

I would like to tap into his dealer network/supply for world coins. He's offered some pretty decent-condition South Korean key date coins in the past. I've bet on all of them(!) and won maybe one. He provides sharp photos, and that's helpful.

21. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

Sold for $5k... yikes

Draft saved Draft deleted