1909 S VDB Feedback

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Chief C, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Chief C

Chief C New Member

Gentlemen, never posted but I enjoy reading and educating myself on this site, They say even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then and recently I think it was my turn.

I picked this up from an old gentleman's estate sale amongst other old coins. It just simply looks to good to be true. Immaculate shape, probably previously cleaned, but I think the real deal. Your thoughts?

Thnx in advance,
    r, 1909 S VDB Obverse.JPG 1909 S VBD Reverse.JPG 1909 S VDB Date.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chief C

Chief C New Member

Sorry, can someone pls move to general forum. I accidentally posted in coin roll hunting.

4. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

Certainly a handsome vdb. My only question is most of the 09 s and 10 's the S appears about 10* rotated right? If that is the real deal a true beauty. Thanks for posting
    Well on second look Obv. not magnified S does appear to be rotated?

5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It appears to have a wire rim or a “fin” on the upper right side of the obverse. I am not aware that any 1909-S-VDB coins had that. I am also concerned that the Lincoln portrait appears to be less sharp than the rest of the coin. The 1909 Lincoln image was fresh and clear on these coins, not tired like it became in the late 1960s.

I don’t think that the piece is genuine, but that opinion is based upon the photos provided which are not perfectly sharp.

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

7. Chief C

Chief C New Member

Hello David, John, thought I was the only person up this early on a coin site. Apologies for my pics it was the best my phone could do. I will try and get better camera pics. That said, John that was my one reservation while it was in good condition it seemed like a weak strike or like someone cleaned with an abrasive. The weight is correct also. Unsure if it will be worth the money to send off for authentication hence Im asking the experts first.

capthank likes this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Do you know how many "old gentlemen" aged 21-45 are running estate sales right now? ~ Chris

Santinidollar, yakpoo and Kentucky like this.
  9. johnmilton

Obviously, if it is genuine, it would be well worth the grading fee and really a requirement for this issue, give the profusion of counterfeits. I only expressed my reservations about this piece.

serafino and Paddy54 like this.
  10. Chief C

Chief C New Member

Thanks Alurid, reading now.

alurid likes this.
  11. Chief C

Chief C New Member

Maybe deceased may be a better term.

UncleScroge likes this.
  12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I am not a cent collector, but I do collect varieties,and do believe my eyes....
    A few questions how much was this specimen? Not to be in your business, but that question is important to determine, next the color does not look like any Lincolns cent this date that i have owned.
    And the strike looks off..as others have said...and ask youself why a key coin in that conditiom has not been slabed...?
    If you got this coin for a cheap price, again theres a red flag...and if you paid up I hope for your sake I am wrong.

serafino, capthank and Mountain Man like this.
  13. cpm9ball

Please explain how a deceased, old gentleman can run any auction. ~ Chris

LA_Geezer likes this.
  14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I think it's a fake

Your coin has indistinct rims in places and a soft, mushy appearance especially on the date and mottos. As @johnmilton has pointed out, you wouldn't expect that on a genuine coin

@alurid posted a great link that shows the 4 mm locations as well done info about the VDB. I don't think the mm matches any of them, but you have the coin in hand for a better evaluation.

capthank, Paddy54 and alurid like this.
  15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Open fields appear just as "lustrous" as very well protected areas, and the luster does not look natural for the issue. I think I see tooling marks southeast of the mintmark . . . not an encouraging sign. The mintmark may well have been chased in from the rim.

Much better photos would allow definitive conclusions.

Dynoking and Paddy54 like this.
  16. johnmilton

I don't know how many counterfeit sellers I have seen on Ebay who used phases like
    "This was in my granddaddy’s collection, and he met a lot to me” or “This came from an old estate.” Such comments are to be taken with a grain of salt.

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Looks like a modern counterfeit to me. Nothing looks right.

chascat likes this.
  18. cpm9ball

Yep! That would be the largest grain of salt that I've never seen. ~ Chris;)

Cheech9712 likes this.
  19. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Mint mark does look tooled...agree with "chased in" term. Also well cleaned coin. Portrait is mushy as is lettering...mushy reverse detail...nothing here looks right. Also the bottom of Lincoln looks tooled, maybe to remove a modern VDB from shoulder.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    capthank likes this.
  20. Chief C

Chief C New Member

Hello Everyone, well I learned two things 1. I need a macro lens for my camera, still could not get close up without distortion. (been meaning to buy one anyhow) 2. I read the PCGS thread Curious provided and the coin matched as type #3, even the VDB has the angle on the B described there under 30x. I didn't pay much considering it came along with a healthy supply of other coins Mint/Proof sets loose silver etc. I posted the Camera pic which was not much better, sorry maybe future pics will be better. At this time based on all feedback its time to call this something too good to be true, even with all the correct tells the coin is mottled/mushy. Reminds me of my maintenance days after running a non ferrous metal through a walnut blaster, maybe next time. 1909 S VDb with crosshairs.png
    Thanks for all the input everyone!

21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

In order to maximize your return from this, you need to send it to a TPG. Go to a coin shop and arrange to submit it. Good luck.

eddiespin and Mike Davis like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted