1909 S vdb cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lincolnhoardr, Jun 13, 2010.

1. lincolnhoardr

lincolnhoardr Coin Hoarder

This is my 1909-S vdb cent I posted this when I first joined but my coin pictures are much better than they used to be. Im going to send it in to NGC for grading this week. What do you think they will do with it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anything I can do about that little black spot on the reverse?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

It is hard to tell if it is something stuck to the coin or discoloring from the photo. If its just something on the coin, try a q-trip to dislodge it. If not, its a carbon spot and will come off easy.

4. lincolnhoardr

I think it might be some black gunk but I dont want to start messing with it

5. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I think it's a no grade and goes into a details holder. There seems to be some damage behind the head in the field... and the lines on the coin... hard to tell if they are hairlines or die lines

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

unc. details cleaned and scratched.

7. lincolnhoardr

8. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

The first time I saw the picture which was about three seconds ago, I thought, "Who took a green scrubbie or piece of steel wool to this coin?" Am I right about that?

9. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

NCS improperly cleaned questionable color I would say b4 it says damaged on the label. That's my guess and I'm a sticking to it :(

10. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

My guess exactly.

11. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

It is covered in hairlines because someone harshly cleaned it. You won't get that in a problem-free holder.

12. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The dot after the V in VDB looks a little suspicious to me. Isn't it one way to identify a fake?

13. jerseycat10

jerseycat10 Peace Dollar Connoisseur

AU-MS Details
    Harshly Cleaned.

14. snaz

snaz Registry fever

I am somewhat in the "cleaned and scratched" boat... as long as the OP doesn't come in and tell us it has an improperly mixed planchet giving it that appearance.

15. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

I agree with everyone else and if I were in your shoes I would save my money. The odd placement of the dot after the V is normal for alot of the 09 S VDB's. But, if you ever want to sell it at least it will have been authenticated...

16. dingodonkey

dingodonkey Junior Member

I'd worry because, as many pointed out, it appears to have been harshly cleaned. But I would still send it away for authentication at least.

Cleaned or not, little black spud or not, I think it's a beautiful coin.

17. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I gotta agree with the above statement!!

Maybe you should send your 1909 to ICG or one of the lesser than PCGS or NGC. I don't know much about grading tho, I mean as far as which ones will actually place details with a grade, but there must be one of the lesser known ones you can send it to.

18. Ed Goldman

Ed Goldman coin collector

I think it is a really nice coin..Let me know the results of the slabing.

19. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Based on the photos the coin appears to have been harshly cleaned. It's a shame because it looks to have unc details.

20. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I don't know and I hate to sound like all we do is trash somebody's coins, but this coin has too many hairlines for me. They seem to run in rows and my first impression is cleaned, but given the date, it could also be the planchet or die polish lines. An in-hand examination is necessary, IMHO.

The lines that I speak of are on the obverse in the field in front of Lincoln. Now, if these were planchet lines, they would be consistent in direction. These lines intersect. That means that they cannot be flow lines from striking and that they are not consistent with planchet issues. So that leaves me with cleaning or die polish lines. I will lean towards die polish and wish you good luck!

I am interested to see what the TPG says, but I am with Matt, that gouge by Lincoln's head may be trouble so far as the certification as problem-free.

That said, I would be extremely happy to own it. It is right in my wheelhouse as far as coins go, and to date I have never owned a 1909-S VDB. So, if you decide that you just can't stand to keep it, then just send it over here, it will receive plenty of love, I promise. ;)

21. wstcst

wstcst Junior Member

I agree with the above, that it looks like it might have little marks, and a black spot, it looks like a nice coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted