1909-S VDB (a real one)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Eduard, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

That never ending thread on the 1909/1919 s VDB made me want to look at mine again.

(This one is actually real)

Post your 1909-s vbs's !

1909 licoln cent s-vdb obv1 N GP - 1-ccfopt.jpg 1909 licoln cent s-vdb rev1 N GP - 1-ccfopt.jpg

MaryK, Mainebill, markr and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dima

Dima Member

Hmm... I can post a picture of my 1909 VDB cent and/or a San Fransisco LWC. I can't quite match the awesomeness that is the 1909-S VDB LWC :)

Nice share @Eduard! Is your coin graded or raw? (Picture looks raw, but could be misleading)

Eduard likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That and the 1922 "plain" are the only Lincoln cent date/mint combos I haven't owned.

My 1914-D came from a lucky bulk bag find in 2006. It subsequently went XF40 at PCGS.

[​IMG]

5. lordmarcovan

It's raw, but looks like a very nice (MS?) example? I'm not 100% sure on the color, but I think that's OK. Looks to have some slight woodgrain striations.

6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Yes, this coin as 95 % of my collection, is not slabbed.
    I got it from a B&M auction back in 1988 (or thereabouts) described as MS with woodgrain effect.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Mike Davis and Dima like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

I can agree with that. If you ever sell it, however, I would recommend certification, to maximize your return.

8. Goldsayshi463

Goldsayshi463 the person who says "hi" all the time

Wow I zoomed in on the close-up of the 1909-S V.D.B. and there is grains of what seems to be metal guessing tin or zinc because of the improper alloy of the coin (indicating the wood-grain effect).

9. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

No way!!!:eek::)

Handyman likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

That's pretty much what I said at the time! In fact, I think those were my exact words! Woke up my sleeping wife!

Eduard and Peter Economakis like this.
  11. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

It’s real. I promise.

F2AFA99C-3628-44E8-9E9B-4F6F034E135C.jpeg

MaryK, ksparrow, Mainebill and 12 others like this.
  12. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Here’s mine. Not nearly as authentic as @bradgator2 ...... Mine has some rim damage which made it affordable. I remember thinking I had reached the pinnacle of collecting when I bought this one.

37033474-56F1-4D53-B0D7-FEEE28E79C86.jpeg 4E884B1D-F449-4FB5-969A-9DE4CDF4CD55.jpeg

Mainebill, markr, Dima and 7 others like this.
  13. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I have a few. This first one was found in a friends grandmothers attic in an old album. It was in the wrong hole in the album. He gave me several old albums to check the coins and make an offer. He could not believe that the one coin was worth more than all the other coins put together. I could not believe my eyes when I took the coin out of the album and saw the VDB on the reverse.
    Image_1865.JPG Image_1866.JPG

Mainebill, kkm, robec and 6 others like this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

These two came to me many years ago. I plan to trade them someday for one really nice one.
    Image_1861.JPG Image_1863.JPG Image_1892.JPG Image_1895.JPG

Mainebill, kkm, Mike Davis and 5 others like this.
  16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Peter Economakis likes this.
  17. Peter Economakis

They both look nice to me!

Mike Davis and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  18. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

Wow, that is an amazing coin! I feel a bit of jealousy. As much as I want one, I don't see me accquirring one anytime soon.

19. Peter Economakis

Ditto..;)
    If I did my homework after getting into coins again after 30 years I would probably have one. I just bought way to many rolls an such off ebay. Not alot of money on the so called "unsearched" but enough to add up over a short time.
    I should of bid better and been more patient..

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Mike Davis likes this.
  20. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Nice. I don’t own one as I don’t collect Lincoln cents and don’t feel the price is in line with the rarity.

Draft saved Draft deleted