1909 s Indian

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tommy715, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Tommy715

Tommy715 New Member

Is it worth $415?
    s-l1600.jpg s-l400.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Maybe, but that's two different coins. The holders aren't even the same type. Does someone have it listed that way? Seems deceptive.

4. Tommy715

Tommy715 New Member

Lol wrong pics

5. Tommy715

Tommy715 New Member

6. Tommy715

Tommy715 New Member

Here is the right one

7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I wonder why they didn't grade it, I'd call it an XF details (cleaned). 415 doesn't seem too out of line to me.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The price is no worse than a *tad* high for a cleaned XF (I agree with Kirkuleez; might make low AU), but the same number should put you - with patience - into a rather nice "righteous" VF. What's your comfort zone? Me, I go for the latter, if only because Details coins greatly reduce the size of the buyer demographic down the road. Many key date collectors just_don't_want a cleaned coin.

Of course, I'm one of those so my opinion might be colored. :)

loopytoad74 and Stevearino like this.
  9. Tommy715

Tommy715 New Member

You are right, I'll pass on this coin... I'm just looking for a book filler right now. What's a good price on a G-4?

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

That's a big difference... good thing Kirk noticed that before people started telling you the price was sweetheart. ;)

I must agree with the other gentlemen in that while the price may be reasonable, a problem will always be a problem. Getting a coin with more remaining detail for less now may sound like a good idea, but when it comes time to sell (and it will... if not you, for your heirs) it can come back to bite you. It may seem counterintuitive, but paying up for the costlier more in demand coins, in order to acquire a nice, solid, eye-appealing example, can work to your benefit in the long run, even if only due to increased liquidity. Strong original coins often sell themselves while problem examples are shunned by astute collectors, so by choosing the latter you're limiting your future potential buying audience.

If you're in love with this very coin, there's certainly nothing wrong with owning and enjoying it, but if open to making a choice, I would seriously consider another option.

11. SuperDave

They're not losing much value in lower grade; you're not going to save enough bucks below XF to warrant settling for less to save money. The most recent PCGS G06's on record were from Ebay in 2015; those went for $250-ish. PCGS Auction Prices has no records of G4's since 2012.

12. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

I'm confused. What coin am I looking at?

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Obverse in post #4 and (I believe) the reverse in post #1. The 64RB was the photo posted by mistake.

14. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

Given the pictures, I'd call it high VF/low EF.

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

you are tougher than I am.

16. loopytoad74

loopytoad74 Active Member

I hope you dont mind but can i just add that even though we try to look for the best in coins (regarding quality),I look at this coin with my mouth open because i think it's stunning,I understand that certain collectors just want the best but to people like my amateur self,it is a very nice coin, my collection is not the greatest (galaxies from it),but I would love having a coin like that.Maybe it's because i am yet to get the 1909 I/H for my collection,:(...I think its still a great coin.

17. SuperDave

It's a nice-looking coin in that image, but it's been cleaned and is no longer original. The only way to return it to being able to appeal collectors across the board is to crack it and make it a pocket piece for a couple years. That doesn't make it unworthy, just more of a niche piece.

loopytoad74 likes this.
  18. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Pretty risky pocket piece to carry around! :eek:

Kentucky likes this.
  19. SuperDave

Not by comparison to Doug's gold piece. :)

Kentucky likes this.
  20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I beg to differ. An expensive small copper cent of any type would be more risky than large gold imo. But that's just me though :)

21. SuperDave

Not many muggers grok 1909-S IHC's. Everybody understands gold. :)

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted