1909-s IHC

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lardan, Jun 13, 2024.

1. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

Many of you know I collect Indian Head Cents, and am still working on it. Recently on Ebay I saw the most striking 1909-s IHC I have ever seen. For some reasons I can't get it out of my head. When I looked at it the last time it only had about 2 hours left and had 25 bids on it, and the current high bid was $1900 plus. I guess the reason I can't get rid of my thoughts is how such a striking coin can be so ruined, and so many people ready to buy it.

The coin was ungraded for good reason, the coin had to have been wissed by apparently an expert. I really didn't see any obvious wear. Minted the day prior by modern equipment. The finish was a medium colored brown and reminded me in appearance of a 1959 proof Lincoln Memorial Cent I have that is a proof 69RD minus the red. I couldn't find any other telltale whizzing signs and I looked very closely, but I am no expert.

The coin was so shiny and the fields were slick and smooth as glass. What I wonder about all those people bidding on it are they collecting a set, and so do all their other coins look this shiny, and appearing with no wear. If you have a set of raw, even appearing to be way better than the average raw set this coin would stand out immensly to the others. To me it would ruin the appearance as a set.

Just some of my thoughts of very ruined, but absolutely beautiful except to a true collector.

Cheech9712 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Pic’s?

lardan likes this.
  4. lardan

No I didn't get. I wish I would have gotten the sellers handle to see if he sold other coins like this as well. At the same time I was looking at this I was also thinking about if the bidders realized what they were actually bidding on.

Dynoking likes this.
  5. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

As long as you determined it was a "no bid", don't concern yourself with what others bid on (unless, of course, you are being asked for your assessment).

The world is full of questionable transactions (read: evaluations based on pics) & you can't get into everyone's brains (especially on eBay :smuggrin:). Be pleased that you didn't get fooled (unless, of course, your assessment was not correct :D:eek:).

Try to get pics next time so we can have fun with it! :singing:;)

lardan likes this.
  6. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Hello Lardan,
    If this coin sold on eBay shouldn't it be listed under 1909-S Indian Head Cents 'SOLD'?
    J.T.

7. lardan

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
    J.T. Parker likes this.
  8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

If you have filed the way the coin looked in your brain, you can compare it with this one. This is a PCGS MS-64, R&B.

1909-S Indian Cent All.jpg

wxcoin, alurid, Dynoking and 3 others like this.
  9. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Let me guess. This coin needs to be followed

10. lardan

Very slightly darker brown with no red. The fields as well as the as the devices had were highly polished, I guess like a medium brown chrome.

Nice coin you showed to make a comparison with.

johnmilton likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted