1909 Proof US-Filipinas One Peso Coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by GM Cayzor, Jun 2, 2013.

1. GM Cayzor

GM Cayzor New Member

1909Spesoc.jpg

My coin 1909 One Peso US-Filipinas Coin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GM Cayzor

GM Cayzor New Member

I come up across the internet regarding the mintage of this coin and it seems that there is no record yet how many were circulated.

Attached Files:

4. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Redbook is showing me a mintage of 500 for a 1908 Proof, but there is no proofs showing up for 1909.

I have a 1908/9-S of this coin and I must say yours is a very nice coin!

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Cool coin.

6. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

There were no 1909 Proof coins struck nor does your example look like a proof. Your example does look authentic though. My guess is that you have a coin with a missing or very weak mint mark.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Did PCGS call it a proof?

8. GM Cayzor

GM Cayzor New Member

United States Coinage for the PhilippineIslands: The Mysteries of 1907 – 1909 One Peso Proofs

By: JAAUSA/Philippines Collection
    Posted: 5/28/1980 8:15:37 PM |
    Today's Journal entry is about some mysteriesof the existence of 1907, 1908 and 1909 One Peso proofs of United Statescoinage for the Philippine Islands.

When the U.S. Congress established the Standards for U.S. Philippine coins inMarch 1903 the price of silver was at an all time low. By 1905 rising silver prices brought the bullion value of Philippine silver coins to the level where they were beginning to disappear from circulation. On December 6, 1906 the U.S.Congress passed an Act "for the purpose of preventing the melting andexportation of the silver coins of the Philippine Islands as a result of the high price of silver".

Under the new standards the silver One Pesocoin was reduced from 26.95 Grams (416 grains), of .900 fineness silver (ASW.7800 oz.) to 20.00 grams (308.64 grains), of .800 fineness silver (ASW .5144oz.). The size of the Peso was also reduced from 38 mm to 35 mm and will use the same obverse and reverse designs that were used on earlier Pesos. The OnePeso was designed by Filipino artist Melecio Figueroa. The obverse carries theinscriptions "One Peso" and "Filipinas" (Spanish forPhilippines). The reverse design depicts an eagle with spread wings perchedatop an American shield. The reverse carries the inscription "United Statesof America" and the date.

1907 was thefirst year of production for the “reduced size and weight” coins and whenU.S. mints had nearly replaced all of the Islands silver coinage; it was felt then that there were enough silver to make 1907 Proof Sets and with more silver content.“Trial Strikes” were made for different silver fineness, but further production and circulation was put on hold. So far only two species are known to exist,one 0.800 fineness and one 0.900 fineness silver. When Proof Set production resumed in 1908 until1909, all of the silver coins, were struck in the newly authorized reduced weight and fineness. Year 1909 was the last year of production for Philippine Proof coins and the last year that the reduced size and weight One Peso was struck in Proof. It’s interesting tonote that 1907 (P) and 1909 (P) One Peso are the only PROOF ISSUES that doesn’thave an official mint record while 1908 (P) has a mint record of 500 pieces.

All business strikes of the Reduced Size and Weight One Peso were made at theSan Francisco Mint from 1907 through 1912 and have an "S" mint markon the reverse to the left of the date. The 1907, 1908 and 1909 One Peso Proofissue was struck at the Philadelphia Mint and has no Mint Mark.

9. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

It seems you like to answer a question by not answering the question. You are either too young to respond properly, trying to be mysterious for what reason I don't know, nor do I care to know; or your on an ego trip that isn't working out for you. Based on your other posts about similar Philippine coinage, and with the exact same responses on your part, you may be a short timer here on the boards. Or you can participate in dialogue which could be useful. Your call, not mine. Good luck.

10. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

The 1907 Proof pesos are a pattern. To anyone's knowledge, there are only two with the last one selling in the lynn knight auction. There has never been a 1909 proof peso authenticated, and I do not believe it exists. The coin you posted does not appear to be a proof in the photo.

Draft saved Draft deleted