1909 no mint mark & 1941 Nickle no mint mark

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Mayela, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Mayela

Mayela Member

Hi I have this 1909 no mint mark but if you look closely you can see very faint letters is this worth anything?
    I also have a 1941 Nickle no mint mark are this of value

I searched online but so many links with different values
    Any suggestions where I may look and have a accurate values

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

no mint mark means they were minted in Philadelphia, the letters are VDB for victor D Brenner on the Lincoln cent.

https://www.usacoinbook.com

Mayela likes this.
  4. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Normal

Mayela likes this.
  6. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

The 1909 VDB Wheat Penny is worth a couple of bucks. The 1941 Nickel is common. Collectors will keep them, but they're really not worth anything more than a Nickel in circulated condition. I use CoinStudy for most of my prices.

https://www.coinstudy.com/

JCKTJK, Spark1951 and Mayela like this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The 1941 nickel while old, is only worth a nickel.
    If the 1909 was a plain Philly it's about a dollar.
    If it is a VDB (I can only see the B) then it's $5-$10.

Kevin Mader and Mayela like this.
  8. Mayela

Mayela Member

Thank you

9. Mayela

Mayela Member

Thank you

10. Mayela

Mayela Member

Thank you

11. Mayela

Mayela Member

Thank you

12. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Still, how often will you find such a coin in circulation? When I was a kid (LONG time ago...), my dad found a 1909 P VDB in circulation. That only happened once. He also found a 1922 D Lincoln cent. Pretty rare coin. That would have been about 1956. Back then steel 1943 cents were seen daily in pocket change, as were the silver war time nickels. Silver dollars could be had at the local bank in trade for a paper dollar. I bet many or most CT members can remember all this stuff as well.

Mayela likes this.
  13. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

The 1909 VDB is a nice circulated specimen. The VDB may be worn, but as Michael notes, it appears to be there. A little bit of damage and maybe some delamination on the right wheat stalk, but it has nice color and generally even wear.

Comments: although I don't think it mattered on the VDB photo, when taking pictures of dark coins, a flat backing of a lighter color helps quite the camera sensor. Using lined/designed backing generally creates clutter. Regarding white/light colored coins, a darker-flat backing is desirable. And watch for hot points with the lighting. Diffused lighting generally addresses that issue.

Mayela likes this.
  14. Mayela

Mayela Member

So I'm saving this one my interest in learning and collecting coins is to leave my grandchildren ( 12 all together ) with interesting coins and value my oldest grandson is 14 years old by the time his 21 lots of things can change plus it's a hobby that will keep them busy (thought I share this)

JCKTJK and Spark1951 like this.
  15. Mayela

Mayela Member

Thank you I will take that into consideration for future pictures

Kevin Mader likes this.
  16. Mayela

Mayela Member

Thank you for the link

JCKTJK likes this.
  17. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

YVW :happy:

Mayela likes this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You're welcome

Mayela likes this.
  19. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@Mayela ...get a Yeoman Red Book. At the front of each coin type is a grading guide that you could use to begin to learn how to.

Using those guides and applying them:

Your 1909 still has separation between the cheek and jaw of Abe, so you could say it is around VF20 or slightly higher, but the reverse has damage to the right wheat lines and that is going to limit value. I can’t see the VDB... And...

The nickel has the rim and lettering merging and this is a classic indicator of VG8.

Once you get a ballpark grade, then you can go to many places to get a ballpark value. In this way you can actually answer your own question and save a lot of time researching.

Using the Red Book will answer many questions for you about your coins...welcome to Coin Talk, I hope this helps...Spark

Mayela likes this.
  20. Mayela

Mayela Member

Thank you

Draft saved Draft deleted