1909 Indian Head Cent (overstrike?)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Boot, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Boot

Boot Junior Member

Is this a common snow variation, or something else/new? There is something going on with the date on this obverse. 1909overstrike.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Boot

Boot Junior Member

1909overstrike1.jpg 1909overstrike1.jpg This arrow point out what I could see when magnified. Again, I don't have a snow book on hand. I will research this further, yet welcome any input. Grade of the coin? XF? Approaching AU? I am aware of the one 1909 variation. This doesn't appear like that one.

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, you're looking in the right places, that might that, i.e., the unpolished-off remnants of an underlying date. This is what he has so far on that on the 1909s:

http://www.fly-inclub.org/1909varpage.htm.

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

She's at least EF, at least that half of her is.

Boot likes this.
  6. Boot

Boot Junior Member

1909Reverse.jpg Here is the flip side... Should have posted that for the initial image.

7. Boot

Boot Junior Member

I wish there were images with that. I will have to dig up a snow book. Thanks for your input Eddiespin.

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You're welcome, Boot. But ah, those look like post-mint scratches on that reverse. The new-variety potential of this one is the important thing, though; at least, IMO. I hope you can get somebody who knows these well to look at it, I think that's where you need to go on it. Good luck. I think you got a nice one, I think this is a variety.

Boot likes this.
  9. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

The coin has some condition issues that might affect its appearance, sometimes metal can look lumpy due to corrosion. In 1909, IHCs began to be dated on the hub, so there weren't repunched dates on its last year of minting. That said, something could be happening on the coin, but it's hard to tell from the pictures and the stuff around the date.

RBBDoughty and Boot like this.
  10. Boot

Boot Junior Member

I have the original magnified image from e-bay. I can make out the old 9s under the new ones. There is also a 1 under the one. I see nothing around the zero. I was curious as to whether this was a known Snow variation, or something less common. Agree with the conditioning issues. Unfortunate. I might send this is with a group of coins for grading. Not sure if its worth the trouble though.

11. RBBDoughty

RBBDoughty Author, President Oklahoma Numismatic Association

It is virtually impossible for a repunched date to exist for 1909 because the date was punched into the master die, and not the working die... as KurtS stated. For this reason, there are no repunched dates in the Lincoln cent series, either. The mint marks continued to be punched by hand into the working dies, and that is why RPMs are so popular in the Lincoln series.

For more info, and to learn why there are overdates after 1909, read Wexler's article on RPDs.

Boot and KurtS like this.
  12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Are the images shown above those you mention in the quote or others. I see no underlying numbers, just corrosion/debris patterns.

Draft saved Draft deleted