Featured 1909 Hudson-Fulton Celebration Medal

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Chris B, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

The Hudson-Fulton Celebration from September 25 to October 9, 1909 in New York and New Jersey was an elaborate commemoration of the 300th anniversary of Henry Hudson's discovery of the Hudson River and the 100th anniversary of Robert Fulton's first successful commercial application of the paddle steamer. The maritime achievements of Hudson and Fulton foreshadowed the importance of the river to New York's progress and identity. Organizers used the event not only to display the success of the two men, but also the status of New York City as a world city and the achievements of its citizens. This was kind of New York City’s coming out party on the world stage.

In conjunction with this exhibition the American Numismatic Society (ANS) commissioned a medal. The medal was designed by Emil Fuchs and struck by Whitehead and Hoag.

HudsonMedal35.jpg

Obverse: Henry Hudson and sailors on the Halve Maen watch the hoisting of a heavy article from outside the ship. Around top, DISCOVERY OF HUDSON RIVER BY HENRY HUDSON A.D.MDCIX; at lower left, THE AMERICAN NUMISMATIC SOCIETY; at lower right, HUDSON-FULTON CELEBRATION COMM:; in exergue, HALVE MAENE; in lower corner, signed E. FUCHS

Reverse: Three seated female figures representing Steam Navigation, History, and Commerce; above is a portrait of Robert Fulton. In the background are views of New York in 1807 and 1909. Below Portrait, ROBERT FULTON / 1765 1815; in exergue, FIRST USE OF STEARM NAVIGATION / ON THE HUDSON RIVER / 1807; in lower right corner, signed E.FUCHS

The ANS had 100 pieces 76mm in diameter made for members.

The design was adapted by the Hudson-Fulton Celebration Committee as its official medal. There were 2 gold medals struck that were presented to the presidents of the ANS and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. An additional 8 were struck in virgin Alaskan gold for presentation to the heads of nations represented by warships at the Hudson-Fulton Celebration. There were a number of other sizes and compositions used for various reasons.

Size Mintage Issue Price

4” Silver 1000* $10.00
    4” Bronze 1205 $2.00
    4” Bronze in halves 900
    3” Gold 11
    3” Silver 100
    2-1/2” Silver 1000 $4.00
    2-1/2” Bronze 2200
    2” Silver 2750
    2” Aluminum 30000 $0.25
    1-1/2” Silver 176
    1-1/2” Bronze 266
    1-1/2” Silver Plated w/Ribbon 4912
    1-1/4” Silver 44
    1-1/4” Silver Plated Special 20200
    1-1/4” Silver Plated 60000 $0.10

*342 returned to Whitehead & Hoag

Many of these were made for sale as souvenirs but also for use as prizes for events held during the celebration.

The 4” silver medal weighs in at 11.7 ounces and is one of my favorite pieces. The large canvas lets all of the design elements really stand out.

HudsonMedal03a.jpg

The 2” aluminum medal is by far the easiest to acquire. They can even be occasionally found in “junk” bins for as little as a couple of dollars. These are typically found in a lesser condition. This could be because the aluminum medals weren’t handled as carefully due to them not being “precious” metal. My thought is that they also weren’t manufactured to the same standards as the others in the series.

HudsonMedal24.gif

There was a total of over 120,000 medals in various medals and compositions issued making it one of the most popular commemorative medals ever made. In addition, there was an enormous number of other souvenirs and presentation pieces made.

HudsonMedal13.jpg

Because of this, most of these are reasonably priced. Because of the popularity of the 4” silver medals they bring a pretty substantial price when they come up for sale. The 3” silver medal was only made for the ANS and rarely coming up for sale. At this point, I have never seen one.

I started my collection because of the 4" silver medal but have since added way more pieces than I have ever intended. The history by the event is pure Americana.

Hudson Fulton Frame 01.jpg
    Hudson Fulton Badge11.jpg Hudson Fulton Badge01.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Sources:
    Wikipedia
    Medallic Art of the American Numismatic Society, 1865-2014 by Scott H. Miller

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Great thread. I love the history. Image_0362.jpg Image_0363.jpg

4. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Sure do like the looks of these. Now I want one :)

Chris B likes this.
  5. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too. I'll be watching for these now.

Chris B likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I just gave a set of six mint postcards from that celebration to @Aethelred. Sadly, I did not get a chance to image them, or I'd post them here. They were a fun find in a batch of postcards that came my way.

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Wow. "NEW ORK". No trace at all of the missing "Y".

Reminds me of a certain loveable 1970s TV alien played by Robin Williams in his breakout role.

[​IMG]

8. Chris B

Full sets of the postcards can get pricey. If memory serves me right there were over 100 official postcards showing different scenes. A number of them were devoted to floats that were in the parade.
    I have one that apparently I didn't include in the thread. I'll try to remember to post it when I get home.

cplradar and lordmarcovan like this.
  9. Chris B

As promised here is the one and only postcard from the celebration in my collection. One of these I will purchase one of the sets that come up for sale from time to time. My favorite part about this one is that it was used.

HudsonFultonAdvertisement.jpg
    HudsonFultonAdvertisement02.jpg

Here is another badge. There are a bunch of different designs of these.

Hudson Fulton Badge 21.jpg

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I never knew this celebration was so large. Fun stuff.

11. Chris B

I just added this piece to my collection. It isn't listed in the references that I possess. Was able to get it in an "actual" auction on eBay.

HudsonMedal53.jpg

12. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

I hope it's OK to revive this thread with my post. I am most interested in learning why my last image has YONKERS N.Y. instead of The American Numismatic Society in that space. I see the third image down in the original post shows one like mine.
    I have a little collection for the Hudson Fulton Celebration. The first image shows a couple of old tobacco cards from 1910 and 1912. I also show an Uncle Sam postcard I have from 1909.

Does anyone know more about the Yonkers version and just how scarce they are?
    Thanks

1909HalfMoonhk384Artwork.jpg

1909HalfMoonhk384Gallery.jpg

1909HudsonFulton32mmMedalGallery.jpg

1909HudsonFulton2InchMedalGallery.jpg

1909HudsonFultonBronzeGallery.jpg

1909HudsonFultonCitizensCommitteeMedalArtwork.jpg

1909HudsonFultonCitizensCommitteeMedalGallery.jpg

1909HudsonFultonHoledMedaletGallery.jpg

1909Hudson-FultonTercentenaryWhiteMetalWithRibbonMedalGallery1.jpg

1909HusonFultonYonkersGallery.jpg

13. Chris B

I was able to add two new pieces my collection this week. I'm back to working from home due to a possible exposure and it's given me more time for personal stuff on the computer.

I believe both of these would be considered award medals. The second one is relatively self explanatory but the first is considered a "B Decoration" and I'm not certain at all what that was intended for. The answer to that is probably in my library. I will do some checking as time permits.

HudsonMedal65.jpg

HudsonMedal75.jpg

14. Richard Crosby

Richard Crosby New Member

This is one of my favorite collections. I have most of the medals including the gold So-called dollars. Many badges. Since the 1980's my e mail is [removed by moderator, per forum rules] June 17th 2020

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2020
  15. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Reviving this old thread because there’s more info here than I knew about this piece I picked up today

upload_2021-9-26_18-14-39.jpeg

upload_2021-9-26_18-15-0.jpeg

16. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

A really cool write up and awesome photos! Thanks for sharing!

Chris B likes this.
  17. Chris B

In the last few months, I have been able to add these 2 pieces. The first is a glass paperweight. The other is a pretty scarce pin where the paddle wheel is free moving.

HF Paperweight 01.jpg
    HF Pin 01.jpg

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Hookman and Chris B like this.
  19. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

top notch!

Chris B likes this.
  20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Capture.JPG

Congrats Chris............:)

Chris B likes this.
  21. Hambone1946

Hambone1946 Well-Known Member

Need to bring up this for information. I have a 101mm Sterling medal and was wondering how many are still around of the 658 that were sold. 1000 struck minus the 342 returned to Whitehead and Hoag. Any info will help, Thanks 101mm Sterling Hudson-Fulton Award Medal 1909 Rev.jpg 101mm Sterling Hudson-Fulton Award Medal Obv 1909.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted