1908 S IHC

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Silverhouse, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

http://m.ebay.com/itm/1908-S-INDIAN...F-VERY-FINE-KEY-DATE-/112112172515?nav=SEARCH

I am not familiar with the Indian Head cents series. first off can anybody tell me what is wrong with this coin? or is this a problem free coin for the price that this person is asking? I am trying to learn about the Indian Head cen series. the coin looks fine to me despite a few nicks, but it does look like it's been cleaned at some point because to me the copper color looks off.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Looks like it was harshly cleaned at one point and then retoned imo.

4. Silverhouse

I figured a problem free coin of this date would be much higher than advertised. So at least I can spot cleaned copper. LOL

5. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

Notice how it has absolutely no patina thats a dead give away that it was harshly cleaned at some point. Check out the images i posted below and notice the dark chocolate color and patina that with many years begins to cake up on the coins surface.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Silverhouse

I look for that chocolate look and when I didn't see that on the 1908 S. I strongly suspected it was cleaned and all that patina was rubbed off. I would like a 1908 s or a 1909 S for my type set album in xf or AU.

7. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

Stick with one that is already certified because this date and mint mark is highly sought after and is highly susceptible to fakes and other stuff. Dont just buy any slabbed one either before you buy anything make a post or something asking the
    Indian head experts on here what they think of the particular coin you will get some serious insight.

8. Silverhouse

I will, it will be awhile, but when I find one, I'll ask the experts. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted