1907 J L Merot Prix de Rome Bronze Medal

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jason B, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Jason B

Jason B New Member

Would anyone be able to give me an idea of the value of this medal? Or point me to someone who can? My father has this medal and it is in pretty good shape but not as good as the photo below and he wanted to get an appraisal. I have searched and so far only found the image of the one below which belongs to a collector Arn Dekker. I have attempted to contact him with no luck. Thanks :)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

There are some really knowledgeable medal collectors on this site Jason so be patient and someone should get to you with info on your beautiful medal. I collect medals on a limited basis but not this type so can't help you with a value. Thanks for posting.

Bruce

4. Jason B

Jason B New Member

Arn contacted me and informed me that a similar medal sold in 1998 at a Simmons Gallery auction for around $60. He saw one last year that went for $170 on ebay. He also informed me this 1907 medal was made by Merot after he had been awarded the Prix de Rome, which meant that he could go and study with medallists in Rome for a year or so. 1907 Was also the year that a Peace Conference took place, I believe in The Hague (Netherlands) where all the heads of state met to create and maintain friendly relations between States. I thought it was amazing how something like this could end up in Nampa Id. Makes me wonder about this prestigious awards travel history.

5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Know nothing about it - other than it is a very lovely and evocative medal.

6. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Thanks for the history Jason.

Bruce

7. okinabq

okinabq New Member

3-16-17 -- Hi Jason, I also have a "Merot Rome 1907" medal which came to me from someone in my family, but I have no idea where it came from. I know some of my grandparents traveled extensively - have no other information and have wondered also about it. I live in the Southwest.

8. D brown.

D brown. New Member

Can you send me a pic of yours?
    I found that two were made , like to see yours

Draft saved Draft deleted