1907-D Barber Dime, value and grade appreciated.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by pumpkinpie, Nov 25, 2012.

1. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

1907-DBarber10c.jpg
    This is a recent NEWP.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

VG-8 maybe a F12. Can't tell if TY are visible. If not, VG. Nice eye appeal though.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

With that much detail in the headband and leaves, I'd say VF details; can't tell from the images whether it's been cleaned, or whether the hits are too much for it to grade. I don't think it would make XF, but I think it's better than F.

Retail around $20, maybe? More than melt for sure.

5. BigTee44

I'm just giving grades based on the 2013 RedBook. I'm not a professional grader.

6. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus WHEREZ MAH BUKKIT

I'd say VF25-30. I agree that it has nice eye appeal. I don't think it's been cleaned, unless it was cleaned a long time ago.

7. BigTee44

So let me ask this, I've always used the standard redbook to grade my coins and as I said above it falls into the VG or F range according to my book. How is it that this would jump up to a VF? It states for a VF coin Liberty needs to be bold. Just curious.

8. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I agree with the vast majority of the guys and say it's a low level VF, maybe a 20-25. Just because most of the letters in "liberty" don't show up completely, doesn't mean it excludes it from a VF designation. With these Barber coins, and guys like Log Potato can attest to it, there are other details to consider when determining the grade. For example, how clear the leaves on liberty's crown can be seen, the definition of the eyes and mouth line and cheeks, and for the quarters and halves, the definition of the motto on the reverse along with the arrow bundle and feathers on the eagle all play a part in determining the grade. Run on sentences aside, by looking at a fair share of graded examples, you will find more clarity in the grading scales for Barbers. It's not quite all over the map, but there is a wide interpretation of any given grade.

Barber coinage was the work horse of it's day. People deemed them unattractive, therefore less of them were ever saved. Which makes the grading scale a little bit different in the eyes of collectors as there were less VF+ types to be found.

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Because one cannot follow such an over generalized rule. IIRC, photograde shows an 98-O example in EF that should help make this point. Look at the overall details on both coins instead of focusing on one area.

10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

F15-VF25. I would think around $20.

11. BigTee44

Thanks everyone. I'm going to have to look through my Barbers and see if I can upgrade the details now :hail:

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Draft saved Draft deleted