1907 Bulle, Switzerland 45mm Medal

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by harris498, Apr 28, 2016.

1. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Hey guys, stumped again.
    I recently received this presumably bronze 45mm medal in a group at an estate liquidation auction. Some of the other medals were quite nice, which gave me some hope for this piece.
    I originally assumed that it was a Swiss shooting medal, but no Schutenfest was held in Bulle or elsewhere in Fribourg in 1907.
    It weighs 44.8 grams, and has a plain, somewhat rounded edge.
    Anybody have any ideas? Thanks! P1320206.JPG P1320207.JPG P1320208.JPG P1320209.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Hi, very nice. Some super high relief there. I,ve recently started collecting medals. I love the French Marrieanne ,agricultural ,and French art deco period the best. I get a religious vibe from this one. with the Holy underneath the cross. perhaps some type of religious medal? Have you researched the Medallist artist name? You might be able to glean some info that way. good luck

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Holy is the last name of a Swiss family of diesinkers. Bulle is the name of a town in the Canton of Fribourg. Since the firm made shooting medals for Fribourg in previous years, I'm guessing that this was an award medal for another shooting contest.

Chris

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You and me, both! I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but this is one of my favorites by Jules Clement Chaplain commemorating the 1900 International Exposition in Paris. It was struck in bronze and is 63.4mm.

Chris

IMG_0200[1].JPG

IMG_0199[1].JPG

medjoy, rzage and old49er like this.
  6. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Thanks for the help, guys! The search continues.

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Ah, but such a Schützenfest does not necessarily have to be a federal one. The cantons for example have them too. In this particular case however the occasion could (as in, I don't know :) ) be a gymnastics festival: The 1907 "fête cantonale de gymnastique" was in Bulle, it seems. Link to some kind of stamp or badge ...

Christian

harris498 likes this.
  8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Beautiful medals guys . Love them both !!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted