1907 barber quarter corrosion or toning?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AirborneReams, Sep 21, 2020.

1. AirborneReams

AirborneReams Supporter! Supporter

I had this 1907 barber quarter listed that it had dark toning but someone had sent me a message saying it was severe corrosion. It only had a few bids but was already at 30$ so I went ahead and pulled it so I am not misrepresenting any items in my online store. Can I get some more help with this before I realist it as corrosion? I didn’t get that feel from it because the corrosion I have seen was a lot different but I am still semi new to this game. Thank you in advance! 0E99F16D-595E-4220-ADEA-3914639C70F2.jpeg 75CC11B0-474C-42E0-940B-46AD8687B0CB.jpeg 0E99F16D-595E-4220-ADEA-3914639C70F2.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't see any evidence of corrosion. Have you tried soaking it in pure acetone?

ZoidMeister likes this.
  4. AirborneReams

I apologize I had added the wrong pictures I re uploaded the Correct ones!

5. cpm9ball

I still don't see any evidence of corrosion and stand by my original suggestion.

6. AirborneReams

I did t think so either but wanted to be safe, now I probably have some co fused bidders.. I’ll pick up some acetone today and try that though to see if it does anything.

7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

YOUR COIN IS OBVIOUSLY CORRODED!!!!

Now lets turn this into a quiz:

What are the obvious signs of corrosion on this coin?

8. AirborneReams

Will acetone help with this coin or just sell as is stating corrosion?

9. Insider

Acetone will do nothing of any consequence.

NOW: Let's get back to learning something:

What are the obvious signs of corrosion on this coin?

Come on guys/gals. There are no wrong answers, just folks afraid :muted: to post a guess. :(

10. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

1. The raised dots around the WE . . . .
    upload_2020-9-21_14-8-33.png

2. Flakiness / peeling look in the fields around the stars . . . . . .

upload_2020-9-21_14-10-23.png

3. Small pits found in various places . . . . .

upload_2020-9-21_14-12-37.png

Of course, these are just guesses . . . . .

Z

mynamespat and AirborneReams like this.
  11. Insider

EXCELLENT GUESSES and all correct. :D Don't forget. BLACK color on silver is BBBBBBBBBBBbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddd.

12. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

My understanding, subject to being mostly wrong, is that black is also a terminal color for the toning process?

Toning, is a kind of "desirable" corrosion, is it not?

Just curious, from a metallurgy standpoint . . . . .

Z

13. cpm9ball

Sorry! I didn't look that closely. I'm in the middle of doing laundry.

14. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I mean technically, corrosion is toning or tarnishing. terminal toning may effect the surfaces of the coin....

And didn't dies rust/corrode back in the 1900s, I mean I seem to remember that as being VAM diagnostic points on some years. corroded die evidence....

This is about as dark and as thick as toning gets, I'd say this is a candidate for "terminal toning" where if you did dip the coin, the surface has been altered to a point of being lusterless.

Also title says 1907, but pictures are of 1900.

Anyways, it's a shame, there's a lot of detail there otherwise. looks kept and cared for, except kept and cared for improperly and stored in a harsh environment for too long.

unless that's not toning at all and some sort of layer of gunk.... yuck.

or this isn't pictures of the right coin, and there are pictures of a 1907 somewhere. LOL

Mountain Man likes this.
  15. John Burgess

Acetone will not remove toning, if that's toning, and I'm kind of in the camp of "roofing tar" at the moment because it's the thickest, darkest toning I've seen, in my life.

anyways, a "dip" solution would remove the toning, but at this point, If this is toning, the damage has been done and the luster is gone underneath.

AirborneReams likes this.
  16. AirborneReams

I had added the wrong name I have another 1907 half dollar that is toned dark like this without the signs of corrosion. A5CFC060-A745-481D-8619-597D02F08BC3.jpeg

17. AirborneReams

That’s not good.. :/ so probably my best bet is to not put any money in it and sell it as is warning it’s condition? Glad this was just part of a lot and not something I was going after..

John Burgess likes this.
  18. John Burgess

holy smokes! This isn't "toned dark", it's at the far extreme of toning which is detrimental layer of oxide when its this dark and not refracting light or letting luster through.
    The dark black layer has certainly damaged the luster of the coins and if removed the coin will be dull and lifeless, due to micro pitting, the next step would be heavier pitting like on the first coin and some of the silver oxide flaking away like on the 1900.

This is what I meant by "terminal toning", when the toning gets so thick it become a matte color of brown to black and flat, it's at the point of not protecting the surface of the coin anymore and instead damaging it, and eating away at the silver building up more layers of oxide. it should have been mitigated decades ago on both examples. I don't think any TPG could straight grade with or without cleaning at this point either of them, I'm sorry.

if you can't see luster through the toning and it's not reflecting much, it's very likely beyond salvaging and would not straight grade with a TPG, they would call it "details, environmental damage", even the 1907. Conservation wouldn't help either, it's been there too long on the coin, it would still be a details coin environmental damage, but at least it would stop it.

Really sorry, this level of toning in itself is the sign of corrosion, the coin will not get straight graded no matter what you do with it.

I could be wrong, I've honestly never seen something this thick and dark, but everything I know tells me it's a lost cause and has been for a few decades now.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    Insider and AirborneReams like this.
  19. AirborneReams

Yea definitely don’t want thawed pices graded just how I should list it for auction I usually start all coins at 1$ s whatever someone wants it for, I just want to Gibbs the correct description for the listings. Thank you

20. Insider

Do as the TPGS often do. List it as "environmental damage." :D

Kentucky and John Burgess like this.
  21. John Burgess

I'd likely attempt to sell it, "as is" "what you see is what you get", "terminal toning" maybe go with "possible environmental damage". and avoid the term "corrosion" or "corroded".

let them decide if it's corroded or not underneath based on the pictures and what they want to do and bid.

It's still worth melt, and something more I'd think, just not straight gradable values.

Seriously though, if you start everything at $1.00, what the heck are people complaining about? it's starting less than melt value. LOL they can't see it's freakin' black in the pictures??

P.S. if you are using these pictures for your ebay listings, there's really not much to complain about, those pictures are better than 99% of the pictures on there!

AirborneReams likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted