1907 2 1/2 dollar gold coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by jnl123, Apr 3, 2017.

1. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

I agree the texture looks like a cast die. Maybe the clarity of the photos but of many things the stars on the obverse do not appear to be of correct.
    Denticles look weakly stuck with improper symmetry. First and foremost is what appears to be a bubble surface on the reverse next to and below the right wing.
    I would recommend you look at a PCGS, NGC or ANACS graded example of a 2 1/2 $Dollar Gold Liberty in UNC quality.
    Look at this sight for a start
    https://www.pcgs.com/Photograde/#/2.5Lib/Grades

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jnl123

jnl123 New Member

I'd be surprised if it is fake. My dad collected a lot of coins and the vast majority he bought were already graded/sealed by NGC or PGCS. There are only about 10 in his collection (this being one of them) that were not graded and 8/10 were ancients.

4. jnl123

jnl123 New Member

Stopped being lazy and pulled out the Nikon. DSCN2607.JPG DSCN2613.JPG DSCN2608.JPG

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Keep in mind, if real it's in nice shape but there are literally thousands of these in Mint State slabs. That - and the evidence you present of your father's efforts - makes me fairly confident of its' authenticity, but as a result even if real its' value isn't going to be sky-high. It'd need to reach MS66 to be worth as much as $1000.

6. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

7. jwitten

Notice how yours does not dip like genuine ones.
    deenticles fake.JPG denticles real.png

tpsadler likes this.
  8. jnl123

jnl123 New Member

I definitely see the lack of "dip".

9. jwitten

Also notice how some of your denticles are almost a trapezoid, where they are skinnier near the rim, and then get fatter. All genuine ones appear to be parallel.
    denticles4.jpg deticles3.JPG

10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

An obvious fake.

jwitten likes this.
  11. jnl123

jnl123 New Member

12. jwitten

Hmm, not sure. But the denticles still look different. It looks like a fake to me, and I buy and sell tons of gold coins. If I saw this one for sale, I would not offer to buy it except for melt value, if it was real gold. Toughcoins also buys and sells tons of gold, and also thinks its fake. Take our advice for what it's worth. If you get it graded, let us know the results.

13. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Not all of them have that dip in the denticles, I noticed the dip while looking through coins last night but then found a few that didn't have it. On the ones that don't have it though it appears the first digit was always touching the denticles like in the one your link shows. This is perhaps why they abraded the bottom of the digit/denticle trying to get separation and that's why the dip appeared.

14. jwitten

So did you decide what you are going to do with it?

15. jnl123

jnl123 New Member

I will most likely send it into NGC and update this post after I get the grade or lack thereof.

jwitten likes this.
  16. Wally Taylor

Wally Taylor New Member

The wing feathers seem to be lacking detail. Very weird. It looks like it would have to be polished to lose that kind of detail if it is real. I hope it is. Good luck!

17. jwitten

Did you end up sending it?

18. jwitten

So did you grade it? My guess is it didn't grade genuine.

19. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

20. jwitten

I just noticed the OP is no longer with us. Probably means it turned out to be fake.

Draft saved Draft deleted