1906 Liberty Head 2.5D Gold Piece Seeking Opinions

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by coryjames79, Apr 9, 2024.

1. coryjames79

coryjames79 New Member

Good evening everyone, so I recently had this piece passed down to me from my mother. It was purchased by my great grandfather the day my grandmother was born and has made it's way to me.

As a precursor I have no intentions of selling but like all my coins to be certified and graded and in slabs. This is the only coin I've ever had passed down to me and usually purchase all my coins already certified and graded. I have never had to get one done myself.

So having said all that, I took the best pictures I could of the piece (which I think are better than most I've seen online. Lines across are from the cellophane or whatever plastic is used for the holder) but looking for opinions on the following if you would all be so kind...

1. Opinions of grade.
    2. Which is the grading service of choice pcgs/ngc.
    3. Possible cost of grading.
    4. Possible value of the coin at given opinioned grade, certified and uncertified.

Thank you all in advance and hope you at least enjoy looking at this pretty piece!

Attached Files:

lardan, green18, David Betts and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

If it doesn't get a details grade, I think it may have a shot at a 65. Gold is not my forte, but I do think your coin is up there. It's definitely worth the cost of grading, if it turns out to be a 65 its a 1,000+ dollar coin.

Oh, and PCGS is the way to go for grading. You'll get more for it in the long run if you ever choose to sell.

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hey @coryjames79! Just want to say hello and compliment you on your VERY NICE Gold piece.
    Question about grading. Are you looking for a deal or just quality recognition? I prefer NGC or ANACS (if for personal collection).
    As far as grade? I'm not too good at grading gold but I'd say at least MS high 60's. Good luck.

5. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I’ll guess 66+

lardan, Rheingold and coryjames79 like this.
  6. coryjames79

coryjames79 New Member

Thank you! I tend to like to purchase pcgs myself. Is it very hit or miss if something gets a details grade? I'm no expert by any means but I don't see anything with it that I'd see giving it a details grade but tbh I wouldn't know unfortunately I'm not good at spotting if it had something like that, that might be obvious to someone with more experience.

7. coryjames79

coryjames79 New Member

Thank you for the insight! I'd be looking more for quality recognition.

8. coryjames79

coryjames79 New Member

Thank you!

9. Coins4Eli

Its always a possibility, but more than likely not your coin will straight grade. Sometimes pictures can be deceiving, a lot of the time they can hide flaws. I am just being cautious without seeing the coin personally in hand. :)

coryjames79 likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It certainly looks to be a MS coin. Just pay the fees and have it graded. Glad to hear you’re not interesting in selling it. It has great family history. Once it’s in a slab you should attach the coins history. Welcome to CT.

11. Coins4Eli

That reminds me of something. You could add your family name to the slab as a pedigree. It costs an extra 5 or so dollars, but in this case it might be worth it.

Here is a screenshot from the NGC website.
    Capture.JPG

12. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

ANACS would be my choice, the top two suck, enough said. Good luck.

lardan, coryjames79 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  13. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

1. I believe it could make MS65.
    2. ANACS was the first TPG and is highly respected.
    3. You’ll just have to research the TPG of your choice for service tiers and their associated costs.
    4. NGC lists a certified, slabbed MS65 1906 2.5 Dollar Liberty gold @ $1,175.00.

Before you do anything else, get that coin into an Airtite Capsule for protection until you get it slabbed.

Getting it slabbed as a family heirloom specimen is probably the noble thing to do. I can’t think of a better reason, especially since it will stay in the family. Absolutely gorgeous Quarter Eagle…imo…Spark

edited to add: Numismatic value, $1,175.00…Family Value: PRICELESS!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
  14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I would say the first thing is to take it out of the flip and get some real photos.
    I reserve my judgement.

lardan, coryjames79 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

From the pic's I'm in the '65 camp.......

lardan, coryjames79 and Coins4Eli like this.
  16. Collecting Nut

Great thought! Yes, pay the extra and have add the family name. It’s well worth it and benefits future relatives.

lardan, coryjames79 and Coins4Eli like this.
  17. Collecting Nut

From what the OP said, it’s family value far outweighs anything you can sell it for.

18. coryjames79

coryjames79 New Member

I agree, thank you!

lardan likes this.
  19. coryjames79

coryjames79 New Member

Thank
    That's pretty cool. I didn't know that was a thing. I think I might do that, thank you!

Coins4Eli likes this.
  20. coryjames79

coryjames79 New Member

Thank you for the insight. I will be doing those things as well, pretty neat you can get it slabbed as an heirloom!

Coins4Eli likes this.
  21. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

Great looking coin. Not by any means an expert, but it looks MS 65 or 66 to me. I really like making it pedigree label of the family. I relly hope it works out for you.

coryjames79 and Coins4Eli like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted