1906 Filipinas One Peso Dipped

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by SheafferSelectcom, Dec 8, 2015.

?

Is this authentic or fake?

Poll closed Dec 15, 2015.
  1. authentic

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Fake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Doesn't really look silver and weird parallel die lines

Doesn't look like most silver coins

Was completely greenish black Corrosion layer so I dipped so I could read it

eBay sale if this could be a good coin

Looking to sell on eBay if it appears correct by our helpful members

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Pronouncing it authentic is beyond my expertise, although I don't see any real reason to doubt it. However, you've destroyed any numismatic value the coin had by cleaning it so harshly - looks like it's had a wire brush taken to it - so it's not really worth selling any more.

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You're showing a 1909-S. Probably in that condition you're lucky to get over melt for it. I don't see an issue on the authenticity.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Not a pretty coin at all with those lines. Coin itself looks real but the lines have destroyed it.

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

probably real, but harshly cleaned. yikes.

7. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Real but VERY cleaned.

8. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

20 grams - .800 fine silver. So at least worth the silver content but in pretty bad shape otherwise.

9. Yea typo on 1909

The "wire brush" appeared when dipped about 3 second then rinsed and spot cleaned with with qtip.

I do not normally clean coins but as stated had greenish black coating in this case

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

that green stuff was from PVC damage from being in plastic to long. you could have cleaned it with pure acetone and carefully removed it.

11. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

The coin is sea salvaged, which is common for US admin Philippines silver coins. A veritable butt-load of them were dumped in the ocean to avoid being captured by the Japanese at the end of WWII.

eddiespin likes this.
  12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This. The hairlines were likely there before you cleaned it, then, having been done when the coin was intially recovered.

Numismat likes this.
  13. So throw in the melt pile for when silver bumps

Draft saved Draft deleted