1906 Chekiang 20 cash - Possibly my best junk bin find to date?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Omegaraptor, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

2000C9C3-599E-4671-A678-73AED885A8A9.jpeg D6AB2385-8ACA-4F11-9C18-7F26E1F605A8.jpeg

This is yet another 20 cent find from yesterday. I bought it because “oh cool, large Chinese coin”. When I got home, I tried to identify it and recieved a pleasant surprise: the character in the circle matches up with 浙, which is the mintmark for Chekiang.

I couldn’t find an NGC page, but PCGS says $80 for a problem free VG and $150 for a problem free Fine. Obviously PCGS is inflated and this isn’t a problem free coin, but how much is this coin worth? It looks to have F details.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    tommyc03 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Nice! While there are some damages, it's still somewhat a semi scarce coin.

A couple of examples were sold on ebay - the one from Spain is a counterfeit whereas a better example VF 30 was sold for 150ish. It's hard to judge but I think it could be around 25 or more depending on how badly other people want. Still not a bad find from a junk bin!

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I can't for the life of me tell what yours is in the middle. I would think that in the condition it is in, even if rare, wouldn't fetch the prices you mention. I wouldn't consider it F details. It's pretty rough.
    Either way, fun find for 20 cents :)

5. Omegaraptor

It's much easier to tell in person. It doesn't match up with any other character except for 浙.

And I know it won't fetch the prices I mention - PCGS tends to inflate their values. Still probably worth a good deal more than what I paid...

However, maybe the damage is the reason it got into the junk bin, and the dealer overlooked this one. I found a 1932 Swiss 5 rappen in the same junk bin in UNC - probably overlooked by the dealer who thought it was a later date.

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

You have a better junk bin that mine does. Better prices too. Ugh...I hate my LCS's world coin selection.

7. Omegaraptor

The coin has some black encrustation as part of the damage, but it seems to be removable. Maybe I should try carrying it as a pocket piece, and if that doesn’t work, I’ll do something else. Maybe an olive oil soak?

Draft saved Draft deleted