1906 Barber Half

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Silverhouse, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

This coin looks great, but it's had a light cleaning in the past. The seller wants 317.00. For an album filler it's a great coin, but what should I offer or should I pass? s-l500 (1).jpg s-l500.jpg

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

317$ is too much for a 1906 that has been cleaned and has all those little scratches on it. Probably XF/AU details,

JPeace$ likes this.
  4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I agree, I'm in the 225-250 range. Sure it took a big of a cleaning, but it's still a very nice coin.

5. First, $317 is probably close to problem free price. The seller is asking way too much for a problem coin. My opinion is spend your money on a problem free coin. Not as much downside if you ever need to sell it.

Second, you have to be real with yourself about the problem. If it slightly bothers you now, it will always bother you in the future.

Kapimono, JPeace$ and Kirkuleez like this.
  6. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Considering this coin is worth more than $100 I wouldn't risk buying it raw.
    $317 is close to a problem-free price. This coin has a light cleaning.

7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

The cleaning is pretty clear, the truck here is knowing the appropriate market grade. It's cleaned, but pretty and still worth a bit. I'd put that in my album no problem. To me, buying this one raw is the way; there's no real question of authenticity and the slab does nothing.

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

It's still a nice coin even with the cleaning though I'd wait for a problem free coin for that money .

9. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I hear ya, but I am more apt to put a details coin in an album than a problem free one. I'll wait then.

rzage likes this.
  10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Excellent. I expect that money to (with a little luck) put me into a righteous PCGS AU55 - which is what I give this coin, technically - and definitely into an AU53. My value for the coin posted here is ~$200, and for that it better already be in a slab.

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Good choice.

Putting a problem coin into an album is just fine, but you have to get the problem coin for a problem-coin-price. I personally would have avoided this coin just because the hairlines on the reverse would have bothered me at any price, but that is my preference. A little light cleaning is fine for an inexpensive album coin, but I limit that to a bit of a dip. Again, that is my preference.

12. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I find the marks on the neck very distracting. I think waiting is the right decision.

Draft saved Draft deleted