1905 V Nickel

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by cgibbs74, Jun 8, 2018.

1. cgibbs74

cgibbs74 New Member

Hi again! I'm slowing looking through a small coin collection I received after my dad passed away and I came across this 1905 nickel - it's not in good shape but I noticed the word "cents" on the reverse looked off. Its looks like there may be another "n" in between the c and e. To me it looks like another word is under the word "cents". My pictures are horrible and I'm going to try to take more tomorrow. Maybe I am just tired and probably sound crazy but I thought I would see if anyone has any knowledge about this coin. as always - thank you for any input!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The word CENTS was weakly struck. That's not uncommon with these.

The weak "CENTS" has more to do with a soft strike than with wear in this particular case.

As to wear - these coins saw very heavy circulation in commerce and as such, they're often found in low grade - even much lower grade than the example you have here, which really isn't bad for an average circulated example. Lots of times the reverse rims are worn off, which is not the case with your coin.

I'd call this one a VG8, which per Numismedia makes it about a $4 coin by "book value" (though realistically in the marketplace, more like $1-2, I would imagine).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Oldhoopster likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This is what the reverse often ended up looking like (AG3).

[​IMG]

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I just wanted to make sure that you understood that the V on your Nickel is the Roman Numeral for 5

Draft saved Draft deleted