1903 O Morgan Dollar, Guess the grade.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Blackhawk1-1CAV, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Blackhawk1-1CAV

Blackhawk1-1CAV Active Member

I just got one of three MS 1903 O's graded and could not believe the results. Take a guess at what this coin graded as. TrueView_31800946_Large.jpg

coinman1234 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

4. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

You just gave out the anwer with the number!!!

Here is a photo hiding the number for future reference.
    pcgsgtg.jpg

Not going to give out the grade though, I did not want to ruin the fun so I never checked it.

It looks like MS-65

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

6. cpm9ball

@coinman1234 - I'm thinking he was expecting a 65 or 66 and PCGS shot him down.

Chris

coinman1234 likes this.
  7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

8. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

9. Blackhawk1-1CAV

Integrity check! lol! Yes, I posted the wrong photo with the number. It's a real beauty. Frosty, and I could not find any signs of a cleaning. I was expecting a MS66. According to PCGS, a coin can be considered cleaned if they find scratches that can only be seen from a certain angle. I could not see any. This coin came back as cleaned. Population of 1! lol. So what should I do with this coin now? Any suggestions?

coinman1234 likes this.
  10. coinman1234

Do you have any photos that you took showing the "cleaning"??? It could be PCGS photo setup's lighting hiding something.

Considering resubmitting that coin to PCGS, it could be worth quite a bit if it comes back problem-free in as high a grade as it looks.

11. Blackhawk1-1CAV

I don't have any other pictures than the 6 I have from PCGS. I have not received this coin back yet. I think the best coarse of action is to post photos at different angles here once I get it back and go from there.

coinman1234 likes this.
  12. coinman1234

Agree, that would help. How did the coin look in hand? Cleaned or not? Any hairlines might be the reason.

13. cpm9ball

Try looking at it from different angles with a halogen lamp if you have one.

Chris

14. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Eh, I would have said AU58 or MS66 depending on whether what I saw on the cheek hair above the ear, eagle's breast, and wingtips was wear or not. Definitely can't see any real indications of cleaning on these pictures.

15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I've had some coins come back cleaned and when I get them back I wonder how I could have missed it.

I can't say I see the cleaned bit on your coin, but if I were pressed to point something out, it would be the slightly darker patch behind Liberty's head near the 4th and 5th right stars. Maybe it got kissed by a counting wheel.

16. Blackhawk1-1CAV

I appreciate all the replies here. I will defenately take a close look when it arrives back and post pics here.

17. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Even if it were not cleaned, it would not have graded 66. The cheek chatter, pitting in the fields (which shows that it was cleaned at one time) would have made it no better than a 65, had it not been cleaned. Also, if you look at the photo, there is little or no luster apparent.

18. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@Morgandude11 , I see luster from the picture, but I do think it's hard to judge coins from a TrueView picture. IMO, they don't typically capture the coin as it looks in hand.

Agree about a max 65 score.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  19. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

From the pictures, I would have guessed 65. I don't see evidence of cleaning in those pics - but different angles and different lighting may reveal the cleaning. TruViews are designed to show the absolute best possible angle and lighting for a coin.

20. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

To me, it has the "washed out" look of a cleaned coin. If you look on the right side of the obverse, there is a patch that is rough looking in the field between Lady Liberty and the lettering. It has that pitted, scratched look of some abrasive, that was used to clean the coin. Shame, as it looks like it was a 65 coin, and would have been very nice addition to a collection.

21. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Most of the obverse surface looks grainy in the photo. That could just be my PC too. I do see the area you referenced and agree with you. The cheek between the chin and nose also looks to be quite chattered eventhough the photos hide it well. I agree the luster doesn't appear to boom, but there does appear to be some cart wheel left.

PCGS deemed it "cleaned" and they've seen the coin in hand, so I'll defer to their judgement. I wonder what the coined looked like prior to the cleaning?

Morgandude11 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted