1903 O Barber Quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Silverhouse, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

This is presently on the bay. A semi key date, a tough coin for sure, but just as a hole filler what would you value this as? It's been harshly cleaned, and I dare else guess what, but if I can snag it for under 100, you think it's worth it? I think so IF it could be had for less. Auction ends in 10 hours. $_3 (8).JPG $_3 (9).JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Nice coin XF 40-45 details. Uncleaned it's $100+.
    IDK how much for cleaned. $60?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  4. Silverhouse

Then why do I see outrageous prices in xf for this date and m/m? It may not officially be a key, but some of these O dates can be pricey.

Truth1253 likes this.
  5. Michael K

I was looking at the wrong Barbers (dimes). Edited that out.
    It's early here, Mountain time.

6. Silverhouse

No problem. I know it's details, but for a hole filler, I don't mind. I've seen worse.

7. Michael K

I like it. It doesn't look "harshly" cleaned. And if that is the case, it will retone.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

These don't appear at auction too often. I have it at XF40 on technical merit; the most recent sale of a similar grade I found was a PCGS XF40 that hammered at $112 in May 2016. That's for a "good" coin in a slab. I personally wouldn't do $100 for it, and think you'll find it looking more harshly-cleaned in hand. There's too much light being reflected from the devices for my tastes.

This is one whose price climbs steeply once it reaches a righteous AU, and a little looking on Ebay tells me that pricing there is unrealistic for them. No, they aren't common, but it seems plain that this is an issue where concentration and patience will be rewarded financially.

9. Silverhouse

I've been looking for 2 examples of this coin. One for the album and a nice graded piece.

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This one, I think, is a case where they appear rarely enough that people tend to jump when they find one, evidenced by the disparity between auction-house prices and Ebay prices.

11. Silverhouse

we will see how much the bidding goes up. my Max bid is not much more than what it is that now, which is around $34. this is one coin I will be searching for at the Baltimore Whitman Coin Show in March.

12. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

Curious on what it goes for, let us know!

13. Silverhouse

My max bid was 45. It sold for 54.00

Camreno likes this.
  14. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

Not terrible I suppose! Its a nice example

15. Silverhouse

I may relent and have to buy one at the upcoming Baltimore Whitman Coin expo. If I find one

Camreno likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted