1903 IHC Doubling, Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Seattlite86, May 26, 2015.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I've got two IHCs that I was looking at and saw some doubling. I'm assuming MD or Die Deterioration since they're both 1903s, but I thought I'd poll the group.

First one on the chopping block:
    1903 OBV 1.JPG 1903 REV 1.1.JPG 1903 REV 1.JPG

Second one on the chopping block. 1903 OBV 2.JPG 1903 REV 2.1.JPG 1903 REV 2.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Well the first 1903 looks like it has a RPD you can see it at the bottom of the 1. The reverse on both of them, have what is called Longacre Doubling. It is caused by the shoulder of the stamps being used to set the type being struck into the surface of the die. It's pretty common. But I would be interested in others opinion about the repunched date on the first 1903. I do not know the "Snow" varieties.

Seattlite86, swamp yankee and rzage like this.
  4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I agree , definitely Longacres doubling . I really can't tell about the date but @Jim M and @Paddy54 could help there .

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Long acres doubling as for the repunched the 1 at the foot looks to been repunched.

Seattlite86 and rzage like this.
  6. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

The first one does have a RPD. Both exhibit Longacre Doubling

See HERE

7. rzage

After blowing up the 1st coins pic , I did see the bottom repunch . I really Like Longacres doubling , especially on an EDS where it's quite strong like on the top coin .

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. Seattlite86

You Sir, are correct. I actually thought the top of the 1 was a ding and didn't notice below it. I guess I was too focused on the doubling in the back. Agreed on the Longacre doubling, but it still looks cool so these will be keepers!

IMG_4531.JPG IMG_4532.JPG

rzage likes this.
  9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

And you, sir, are correct as well; there is a ding on the 1 in addition to the already-established re-punch.

10. rzage

Jim , thanks for the link !!!!!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Seattlite86, would it be possible to give that first one a good 15-minute soak in acetone to sort of loosen things up some? You might have more re-punching on it than you're seeing. Look at this, from my 1901 S-12. Look at the tails coming off the bottoms of 9 and the 0. Look at the bigger picture of the 9. These thin remnants are even inside the numbers. I might be seeing things, but is that something coming off the bottom of your 9? There might be something inside the 3, too. This is what you're looking for, I'm saying. This is what the remnants look like...

02201S12.jpg

02301S12.jpg

12. Seattlite86

I won't have time this weekend, but maybe the next one, I will spend working on getting some gunk off these coins. These were from some dumb "unsearched rolls" I bought back in the day. I have pure acetone and can soak these for a bit, any recommendations on the actual procedure? I've read a few threads on these but the process seems to differ from metal to metal. I'm thinking acetone bath/swirl and then distilled water rinse followed by soft towel/paper towel dab. Sound about right?

rzage likes this.
  13. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

I just soak and remove. Soak time determined by how much gunk is there and when it's gone. I never rinse. Acetone dries in seconds.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I never rinse, either, although there are those who swear by it, and in distilled water, to boot. Ah, maybe that's paranoia, who am I to say? I just file that away and keep it in mind for when I finally get my 1877 MS65 in RD and I think I see a tiny spot of PVC on the tip of her nose under 60X-magnification and I can't sleep until it's a goner, lol.

I'd just use a glass jar, lid, and maybe a 15-minute soak on this one. The thing is, the acetone may bring out things you may not like, it depends on what's on there. You may try distilled water, first, or, if you want, even rubbing alcohol, which are at least safe, in that they won't react with the coin, and will at least soften-up what's there, and just sort of lightly hanging on. The purpose, here, is to get a good look at those digits for those "tiny remnants," and there's debris obscuring that. You identified something beneath the 1, and you just want to give the rest a good going over for it.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. Seattlite86

Thank you both. These coins have been sitting in tubes with a bunch of other IHC that I'll never have use for so I'm okay with soaking them and risking further damage. In fact, that coin seems bent from something that attacked it at the 1:00 anyway so it wouldn't grade. Mostly it's just a cool variety piece.

eddiespin likes this.
  16. Derry

Derry Member

I have an old soft-bristle toothbrush that works well to dislodge the crud with distilled water first, then acetone. Don't use the brush with acetone since acetone dissolves plastic. Most plastic anyway.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted