1902 walking liberty one dollar i cant find no information about this coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by machete714, Nov 7, 2012.

1. machete714

machete714 Member

1902 front.jpeg 1902.jpeg does any one know something about it ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

That's because its a fake

4. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

The American Silver Eagle one ounce bullion round is what it is suppose to be. But they didn't mint them until 1986

5. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Also a bad one. I do not even believe it is silver, rather looks like pewter.

6. CBJesse

CBJesse Capped Bust Fanactic

Sorry, just someones bad attempt at making a fake ASE.

7. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Nahh, it is a "Fantasy" like a 1964 Peace dollar, a 1964-D Franklin. A 1931 Standing quarter. It isn't counterfeit if the date is of a nonexistent coin... Right?
    :devil:

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Maybe not techniquely , to me it's a fake all day long , especially if it's base metal . But then there3 were counterfieters who didn't realize Capped Bust halves went to a reeded edge in late 1836 and continued to use the lettered edge on their 1837 dated counterfeits and they sure were counterfeits .

9. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Of course, because of the date and intent behind their manufacture.

10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

So what is the intent of this piece ? Is it to make people think it's silver , or just a novelty .

11. Because this coin was never minted and put into circulation it is not a counterfeit.

Why would you call a coin that was never minted a fake counterfiet?

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Neither, the intent is to sell it, for way more than it is worth, to someone who has no idea what it is. Do you realize how many people there are who will buy a coin, and pay dearly, simply because the date says 1902 ?

These things are not sold to coin collectors, they are sold to John Q. Public. And the scam artists have no problem at all selling them.

13. lonegunlawyer

That is a good question. At this time there are insufficient facts to make a proper determination.

14. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

plus if you buy eagles in numbers you usually count the coins by the edges, if the edge looks decent i would have just counted it and moved on and probably wouldnt have noticed the date and it being counterfeit till time to sell

15. machete714

machete714 Member

okay don't you think if it was fake the person that made it word pick a correct date and why would they make a weird date that would get them caught for making fake coins ?????

16. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

the rim isn't right the date is crooked and the the 2 isn't right the reeds probably dont look good either. have you weighed it? have you tested it? and there are fakes of EVERYTHING. if they were perfect it would not be a good thing. but it seems most counterfeit coins are of mediocre quality. then there are some that are very good. this is one that isnt that great.

17. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

That feeble attempt of and ASE wouldn't fool even my daughter...and she's 2 months old.

18. GDJMSP

I already explained why they use those dates. What you have to realize is that the average person in the US doesn't even know that Silver Eagles exist, let alone know what years they were made. And they have no idea at all about what coins really were made in 1902. Heck there are millions of Americans that if you put a Sacky in their hand they'll look at it and say what's this ?

The counterfeiters, and that's what they are counterfeiters, make these fake ASE's with all sorts of old dates on them. They also make fake Walking Liberty halves with the wrong dates. Even when they offer the fales to a person that has a rudimentary knowledge of the coins, having the wrong date is usually all it takes to make the sale. The person buying the coin thinks - hey, this is some kind of error or really rare ! I better buy it !

Just think about all of the posts that have been made on this forum over the years by those thinking they really have something that must surely be worth a fortune, when the coin is really only worth face value. People like that abound in huge numbers, they are everywhere. They don't know anything, all they see is a coin with an old date and they think it is worth a lot, so they buy it.

The mere fact that the counterfeiters make so many of these things and that they show up so often proves that what they are doing works.

19. lonegunlawyer

Doug, do you use the word counterfeiter in a manner that the person making the coin/round in question could be convicted on criminal charges?

20. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Go to a large asian market and you see all kinds of similar things. I stopped last year and was actually looking through such a "stash". I found things like 1804 bust $, 1836 bust $, 1868 morgans, 1930 Peace dollars, etc. They are from bad factories in China. Unfortunately, the average fakes are now better. I hear there is now a large amount of circulated WL halves floating around selling as junk silver. They are artificially worn, so most traces of them being fakes are worn off. Its enough to make me worried if I were still buying very much junk silver.

21. GDJMSP

Yes, I do. The only thing necessary for them to be convicted of criminal charges is their selling of the item as a genuine item.

Of course if they make the fake, and sell it as a fake (meaning they declare it to be a fake), then they have done nothing wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted