1902 Indian Head penny with Errors

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Connie S Simmons, Feb 22, 2020.

1. I opened a old original bank roll today and I think I have found a good find .
    Just need some advice on the error coin to see if it's really what I think it is........
    1902 Indian Head penny not positive on date cause it is struck over a many times dime plachet. It weighs 2.5 grams and it has multiple strike errors on obverse and reverse..
    I think it's struck over a barber dime might be a mule just trying to get some great advice..
    IMG_20200222_000013697.jpg IMG_20200222_000013697.jpg IMG_20200222_000013697.jpg IMG_20200222_000013697.jpg IMG_20200222_000033834.jpg IMG_20200222_000033834.jpg IMG_20200221_235935408.jpg IMG_20200221_235935408.jpg IMG_20200221_235534364.jpg IMG_20200221_235534364.jpg IMG_20200221_235534364.jpg IMG_20200221_235534364.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I don't see much other than heavy circulation wear and heavy damage.

Oldhoopster and GH#75 like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The diameter of a dime is smaller than the diameter of a cent. ~ Chris

5. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Just corroded and beat up.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

1902 Indian cent with damage. Corroded and beat up, as said above.

7. Clawcoins

I think one of the issues is you believed you opened an
    The problem is it probably wasn't

Many times people will search through a bucket of pennies looking for stuff. Then they will put them in a roll and advertise them as "unsearched rolls". Its deceptove but technically correct. They didn't search those rolls. Though they searched them BEFORE they were put into rolls.

The same as putting coins in old unused or used bank roll paper. You bought an old bank roll paper ... That contained a. Bunch of various cents that came with the old bank roll paper.

8. Chris it is smaller than a penny ....I've have to check it again but I think if I remember correctly the diameter is 17.9

9. Far as the rolls go they were granddaddy been put up since the 1920s...

10. The diameter is 17.9 and it weighs 2.51 grams and u can see clearly on the penny its self one dime struck on it and it's clearly doesn't spell cents..

11. Clawcoins

Dime planchets back then were Silver.
    Yours is obviously Copper.

12. I agree but it's a light colored yellow ... But what would weight 2

.5 grams 17.9
    As the diameter let me see if I can get some better pics

13. My grandfather was a error collector and I just inherited this coins..... These coin been in a safe since 1920s....could read the writing it was so old paper roll was tearing so I opened it

14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Sorry but your Cent is definitely not a mint error. It is a damaged and worn down copper planchet coin. It is not struck on a Barber dime and it is not a mule.

Just because someone collected them does not make them all errors. Some people kept anything that looked different or strange just because. They probably thought it could be errors but they were not.

Oldhoopster and I_like_Morgans like this.
  15. Woodman60

Woodman60 Mercury Dimes Franklin Halves

Welcome to CT. below are some sites that will help you to find information on coins.
    The Red Book is a must for collectors it's like "THE BIBLE of COIN COLLECTING.

www.coppercoins.com
    www.lincolncentresource.com
    http://varietyvista.com
    http://doubleddie.com
    Red Book

There are many very knowledgeable members on here. Read what they say and you can learn a lot from them.

16. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Corrosion reduced the size and weight of the coin, nothing special.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  17. Ok thank u got the info...I got one more question for you why on this coin does it say one dime on it if a dime wasn't struck on it.. I. Looked you can't really see it in the picture but u can clearly see it with a loupe and u really can't tell in the picture but it also has 2 sets of wreath on the coin the pictures doesn't it no justice but it's a good as o could get them

18. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

It may have been intentionally or unintentionally squeezed against a dime at some point in its 100+ year history. Happens all the time and is called a “Vice Job”.

What other coins did your grandfather leave you. Sounds like a good time going through his old stuff. Nice family memories too.

19. I really don't know it's slot probably 400 unopened rolls of Morgan's 20 rolls of Mercury dimes and and then I probably have 300 or 400 are slabbed and alot of half dollars peace dollar quarters and dimes and nickels that were in old Mason jars...since about the mid 1920s till about 2000 he saved his change and put it into jars everyday when he empty his pockets he put the in a jar when it got full he would stick it away.... I probably 300 Mason jars full of change... It will take me a long time to go through it.... Lol

One Mans Trash likes this.
  20. He worked for a federal bank and he knew that one day they would be worth something for his grand kids

Draft saved Draft deleted