1901 O Morgan

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kevin1302, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Kevin1302

Kevin1302 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg What would you grade/ value this coin at? It was found while remodeling a home

charlietig likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

A nice find there. An 01-O VF-20 worth somewhere between $20-25.

4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Oh my. That coin could be worth a bit more than that, but only if it's fake.

It looks a lot like VAM 67, which is a contemporary counterfeit.

5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I know nothing of VAMs. What are the markers?

6. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.vamworld.com/1901-O VAM-67

Opening text: (Pictures you can view inside link)

1901-O VAM-67

Discovery by Brian Raines, 2013

67(privately made) (Slanted Date, Medium O Mint Mark) (181) I- R-7
    Obverse - Slanted date with right 1 higher than left 1 and date at right edge of the normal lateral position. Slightly rounded edges where field meets design. no die cracks or polishing lines in LIBERTY or cotton boll stems. Die defects-Die chip at I in PLUIBUS and lines at 5&6 left stars.
    Reverse - Normal medium III O mint mark with C4 reverse design type. Slightly rounded edges where fields meets design. no die cracks or polishing lines on eagle. Die defects-Heavy curved raised lines in field below eagle's right wing. Collar diameter varied from 1.491-1.497", same as 1900o VAMC22v2 and 1901o VAM 61 counterfeits.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

There are other slanted-date 1901-O's, so the secondary pickups are important.

8. messydesk

Yes, of course. Three things that hit me right away when I saw this that made me think possible counterfeit were (1) the date position, (2) the C4 reverse, and (3) the fact that it's low grade. It needs a closer inspection than can be given with the initial photos.

If it is counterfeit, then the back story of finding it during a renovation becomes more interesting. As the origin of these is still a bit of a mystery, knowing where it was found and the possibility of ascertaining when it was put there could both be valuable clues.

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Nice. Nothing more fun than chasing a good numismatic story. :)

10. Kevin1302

Kevin1302 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Here are some better images hopefully this helps to determine if this coin is real or not

11. messydesk

I'm kind of torn between VAM 11, VAM 35 (both real, worth $20) and VAM 67 (contemporary counterfeit, worth much more). It comes down to the position of the mint mark and appearance of fine details and transitions from design to field. Both hard to tell from the pictures.

Mind you, if this were a counterfeit and you were to send it in to a grading service, they'd probably miss it. Many of these contemporary counterfeits have been found in good holders, as they're hard to spot on heavily circulated coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted