1901 O Morgan, Cracked Reverse

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JAY-AR, Aug 31, 2016.

1. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Good after noonish all, got a Morgan with a recessed crack above eagles head going thru chest and tail feathers down to wreath leaves. Was the planchet damaged prior to the strike or just PMD? Chris? Dave? Anyone?:smuggrin: 1900 O RV.jpg 1901 O RV Crack1.jpg 1901 O RV Crack2.jpg 1901 O RV Crack3.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

OOPS! I meant a 1900 O, Sorry guys and Gals, didn't think I had that many toddies before postedo_O

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

This is the first time I've seen such a crack. Interesting!

Chris

5. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris, not that I've seen a billion coins, but this one has been a stumper for me. Usually when I find recessed cracks, there is some de-lam involved. There is none on this.......

JR

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

That is one crazy die crack from the rim at the right wing tip to the L in dollar . Pretty neat cool find.

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I've the feeling it's a planchet defect rather than a die crack. It would take a nasty crack indeed to be equally strong through the eagle's breast - the very lowest point of the reverse die - and this is an extensively-studied date for which one would certainly think a crack of this magnitude would have been discovered before this. It would be among the largest die cracks ever noted on a Morgan.

As a planchet defect, it's reasonable to believe it would survive across the breast details.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Wait... it's recessed? Maybe it's a strike through of some sort.

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I was thinking that the area between beek and breast was de-lamination. Looks quite dark and deep in that area.

10. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Dave, I agree, it can't be a die issue (Break or Crack) I wish it was!:) I've looked and looked and can't find any signs of de-lamination as well. In some areas it does have a look of some strike-thru to the left and right of the crack. Very confusing but very interesting. Here's a pic of the OB just in case you guys want to help identify the VAM as well......;) 1901 O OB Crack RV.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted