1901 Barber Dime????

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Michele Davis, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Sell it now. Its
    Nah. Not a rookie. Sometimes i just don't get it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Yes I have decided to keep the coin for now.
    Mostly out of pity.

CircCam likes this.
  4. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

In a way, lowball collecting is a numismatic oddity. In the past, coins would often stay in circulation until they were unrecognizable. Nowadays, they seem to just get destroyed and/or replaced, they get washed en masse at sorting facilities, etc. So, it's far less common to find coins which have naturally worn down to appearance which the lowball collectors are searching.

5. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Extremely worn coins usually are recycled...they are at the end of their life expectancy.

But some tell a story albeit a short one. Worn mercury dimes and buffalo nickels, even non-silver with no more date showing, are saved and retain value.

Your two dimes probably saw action overseas in France during the Great War, "The War to End All Wars". Now imagine the tales those dimes could tell...

I have one in very slightly better shape at G4, 1904, my grandmothers birthyear.

Spark

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

How much lighter? Do you have an actual figure is this just based on a subjective "feeling" that it seems much lighter? Without a good deal of practice the typical person can't recognize a difference in weight between two items if it's less than 5 g, and a silver dime is only 2 1/4 g total. So trying to "feel" the difference in weight between two dimes is an exercise in futility.

7. man2004

man2004 Active Member

I found a clad "reject" quarter like that one mixed in with 90% Washingtons. I hope that I did't spend it!

8. Michele Davis

Michele Davis Member

It's much a lot lighter just by holding one coin in each hand there is a drastic difference but I will weigh both and let u know. Can u tell how much a barber dime is supposed to weigh.

9. Michael K

Most of the silver dimes, Barber Mercury Roosevelt all weigh 2.5 grams.
    Because of circulation, wear, little chunks missing if yours weighs 2-3 tenths less it would be normal. Under 2 grams is light but only for a coin in good condition.
    The quarter I posted is also thin, it could have been stuck in a dryer. Things happen to coins.

10. Bud1 Wilson

Bud1 Wilson Well-Known Member

Beer lover...Cleaning coins or making beer?:shame:

11. man2004

man2004 Active Member

12. man2004

man2004 Active Member

I found the lowball clad quarter!

13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

One thing I know for certain. If I were thirsty and needed a drink out of a vending machine, that old quarter would not get me there. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a clad quote that “used”.

14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The coin in Michael K's post is not natural wear from circulation. Neither is the coin in post #17 and post #30. They have been "helped", before the went back into circulation.

That's one of the problems with paying big premiums for lowball coins. With a little patience, you can take any coin and polish it down with various grit grinding media. I used to mount SEM samples and we had diamond paste down to 1 micron. You're not going to see any evidence of grinding at that level

15. Michael K

Yes I found that coin and suggested it was probably a dryer coin.
    My point being that all kinds of things happen to coins to cause them to lose weight.

16. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

No, that's not it. There are "lowball" registry sets now. People purposefully collect highly worn coins with the hope they grade very low so they can add them to their registry set.

You did get one thing right. IMO, it's a numismatic oddity. People will pay big premiums for some of these just so they can get some mythical point total and then puff their chest with their registry rank.

17. Michele Davis

Michele Davis Member

That's crazy I just simply love the history these coins carry with them. So I weighed my coin and you guys are right it is like 3 tenths of what the other barber is lol. I guess it threw me off because I have a 1941 Walking Liberty half dollar that I dug out of the ground that doesn't look that worn.

18. Michael K

It's possible the Walker was lost early in it's life and didn't circulate much, so it's not very worn.

19. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

To each their own. I'd never pay for any. I found the #17 in a Coinstar I was standing next to.

20. Michele Davis

Michele Davis Member

I agree with not paying for the ones like that quarter or dime lol I got my barber when I bought a roll of wheat cents.

21. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Yes. It's a lot neater coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted