1900 Straits Settlements 1 Dollar Coin - Unusual design?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by StraitsCoins, Mar 24, 2017.

?

Is this coin uncommon?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. StraitsCoins

StraitsCoins New Member

This coin had me puzzled for a very long time, since its origin is not stated on the coin itself. I have a lot of old Straits Settlement coins, but I never saw one like this.

It was only after discovering the 1904 1 Dollar Coin with Edward VII on the front that I was sure that this is in fact a Straits Settlement Coin.

Both coins share the same design on the Reverse side with both Chinese and Arabic characters. But only the 1904 one has letters written along the rim stating it’s from the Straits Settlement. As you can see from the pictures my 1900 coin only has a figurative decoration along the rim, and that’s why I was unsure about its origin.

All my other Straits Settlements Coins have the king or queen (portrait) on the Front side, but this Dollar-coin from 1900 has picture of a “warrior lady and a ship”. I guess this is Queen Victoria?

Is this coin uncommon? Or is it just me that never saw it before?

Any suggestions on where to sell Straits Settlement coins? Would the interest be greatest in UK or in Singapore? Or would collectors in other parts of the world also be interested?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

It is a British trade dollar for use in the Orient. They were targeted for use in China, SE Asia, the Straights Settlements etc. They were usually minted somewhere in India and should have a mintmark.

4. StraitsCoins

StraitsCoins New Member

Great! Thank you so much!
    That explains why I didn't recognise it as a Straits Settlements coin:)
    I had no idea there was such a thing (not a pro collector)
    I can see the British trade dollar is not that uncommon.
    Where would you usually find the mintmark?

Thanks again for your help!

5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

You should know that this is one of the most common coins found as a Chinese counterfeit. Check the exact weight or your example as the easiest way of eliminating most counterfeits.

This page tell you where to find mintmarks.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces8472.html

6. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

I would think Singapore eBay (if it still exists) would be a prime market. A few years ago, its listings were free so it could compete head-to-head with subsidized Chinese auctions.

I don't know if that policy is still in effect. If somebody knows, post it here, I have dozens of stamp lots suitable for listing in Singapore.

However, a raw coin might languish in favor of graded coins, due to the extensive counterfeiting, correctly pointed out by afantiques.

7. StraitsCoins

StraitsCoins New Member

Thanks for your great advice! You guys just saved me a lot of time of googleing. (I had already spent a lot of time trying to find the origin of the coin).

Draft saved Draft deleted