1900-S 10c "Floating Ribbon"

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by KBBPLL, May 3, 2022.

1. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I was browsing Heritage Barber dimes and ran across this 1900-S. Excessive die polish probably related to the die crack through the bust, but I'd not seen this on the obverse before and thought it was interesting. The reverse also has the "floating corn leaf" but that's fairly common in my observation.

1900-S_10c_FloatingRibbon_combo.jpg
    1900-S_10c_FloatingRibbon_zoom.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

It may have all been caused by a die clash event.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Nice, attractive and neat.

I have a few of the reverse polished dies, but I don't recall any obv ones.

What grade is it?

My best of that date/MM is a [raw] MS 62, PL

5. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

It's a PCGS MS65, currently being auctioned on Heritage. Funny, it didn't take me long to find another one in Heritage archives from the same die pair. Same crack through the right bust, 0 through the left bust to left ribbon, faint one from F through the hair to E in Liberty. Same cracks in the reverse (several of them). Also PCGS MS65, this one CAC. Fairly sure it's not the same coin.

1900-S_10c_FloatingRibbon_combo2.jpg

Treashunt and charley like this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Those floating devices are one of the main signs I use to spot counterfeits. It took me a little while to realize that they appear on legitimate coins, too.

Beautiful and informative example!

charley likes this.
  7. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Yeah, you have to be careful, I catch myself thinking some Morgans are fake due to the same thing in the hair, but real ones have it too.

I just noticed this reverse die state also has floating wheat kernels (upper left). I've seen that quite a bit too, sometimes way more extreme.

-jeffB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted