1900 (P) Barber 25c hub type combos - set completed!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by KBBPLL, Oct 2, 2026 at 12:37 AM.

  1. KBBPLL

    KBBPLL Well-Known Member

    Five years ago I published in the BCCS journal about a third Barber quarter obverse hub type, only used for a few months during 1900 (but it still produced probably ~5 million coins). With now three obverse types and two reverse types used in 1900, that means six possible combinations for each mint. Only five combinations are known to exist for Philadelphia (the Obv3/Rev2 combo is unknown). Today my Obv2/Rev2 arrived, completing my Philly set of 5.

    Obv1/Rev2, Common, ANACS AU58
    1900-P_25c_I_II.jpg

    Obv1/Rev3, Scarce/Rare, NGC AU58 1900-P_$346.50_I_III.jpg
    Obv2/Rev2, new purchase, Uncommon/Scarce, PCGS AU55
    Also L-101 "Broken O in GOD" which is quite scarce, and a die clash at jawline
    IMG_6939_combo.jpg

    Obv2/Rev3, Common, NGC AU58 1900-P_25c_II_III.jpg

    Obv3/Rev2, unknown, unlikely to exist

    Obv3/Rev3, Uncommon, Ebay raw, die clash below jawline
    1900-P_$179.99_III_III.jpg

    I am quite pleased with the new purchase. Booming luster and the reverse is darn close to UNC. The GC image (below) does a good job with the details of the broken O and die clash, but I was not expecting it to be so lustrous in hand for an AU55 grade. I can do a whole thread or article on it, because I think the Broken O might have been the reason Obverse 3 was created, which was used throughout the rest of the series. It might also be the reason bidding was rather stiff, although to my knowledge the L-101 Broken O isn't listed anywhere but the 1994 Lawrence guidebook.
    GC_1900-P_$336.13_II_II.jpg

    The Ebay purchase is one I might replace in the future. It's more in the EF range, but it does have a similar die clash below the jawline, which always adds interest for me.

    Ultimately I would like to get the combo that doesn't exist for P - the Obv3/Rev2. It is only found on 1900-O quarters. Beyond that, I know at least one collector who has all 14 combinations that are known to exist, covering S and O as well. That is a lofty and expensive goal.
     
    SensibleSal66 likes this.

Share This Page