1900 O Morgan Dollar VAM help and advise?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Mirza Beck, May 23, 2015.

1. Mirza Beck

Mirza Beck Member

Hello Friends, here the New Orleans one is showing something in the DATE area strange.
    As I checked even on PCGS ...none double dated etc.
    I did not see anything on the VAM world site as well.

Appreciate your help and advise should I grade via ANACS..?

God Bless
    Beck
    Lincoln cent Treasure Hunter Post 1  1900 showing Doubling.JPG 1900 rev .JPG 1900 excellent view.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Grading may not be a good idea. I think you will be paying well more than the coin is worth to get it graded. Just my two cents.

4. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Also, it looks to be machine doubled (not a true type of doubling) not doubled date, a doubled date would be raised and shelf-like.

Here is a true doubled date that I own, notice how the doubling on the "1" looks.
    IMG_20150321_120026.jpg

5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I can help, start with the near date, thats what you have . Your welcome ....

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  6. Rick Stachowski

so far tilted left " O " and near date vam #4 .

7. Rick Stachowski

You should also check that mint-mark looks doubled on the top right side, better images would help . Check vams 24-26, that the double " O " area . you'll see what I'm talking about, your could be a new one for this area, ( 24-26 ) if the mint-mark is doubled, you can also go to vam #4 heres the link to this coin http://www.vamworld.com/1900-O VAMs

8. BertJones

BertJones Member

Mind if I throw you a bone here?
    1900 O, near date, O set high and to the left, double clashed with a tick of an "n" at the neckline, doubled right stars. Congratulations, you have got a VAM 15A. It is a Top 100 Morgan Dollar and one worthy of getting slabbed.
    Nice find!

9. Rick Stachowski

I don't see the doubling on the stars with this coin .. Could be early die state for Vam 15A . Sure would be nice to have the coin in hand ..

10. BertJones

BertJones Member

After saving his image to my computer and enlarging the image, I see the doubling quite plainly.
    Mizra, you have the coin in hand, look for the doubled stars to right of date. That will confirm or refute my attribution.

Bert

11. Rick Stachowski

Heres the image of the double stars from vam world, the second image will be the OP coin, and theres no double stars on the op coin . Coinimage.jpg 1900 excellent view.JPG

12. Rick Stachowski

[​IMG]Heres a better image of the doubled stars

13. BertJones

BertJones Member

Rick,
    look at the double clash spikes coming off the lips, the die crack from nostril down to lip. Also on the reverse there is a small die crack that begins under the right leg of the N in ONE in the denticles and runs upward diagonally to the bottom of the E in ONE. All of these markers match the Large Full Coin Photos of the double clashed version of the 15A as posted on Vamworld.
    I believe his photo does not show the star doubling in the best of light, but it is there.
    Not trying to be confrontational, but I will stand by my attribution as 15A.

Bert

14. Rick Stachowski

I think it is too, ( vam #15A ) but its a early die state, stars aren't there yet, thats why its called a early die state .. I've seen this a lot on vams ...

15. BertJones

BertJones Member

Right idea...wrong direction. The single clashed version would be an early die state, whereas after the second die clashing event at a different rotation caused the double clash lines from the right wing up to the I & N, the double clash lines at the neckline, and the single clash mark at the first fold of the Phrygian Cap at the back of the neck making this coin a later die state. Since the dies have become more worn from repeated strikes, the doubling of the stars may be a little more mushy at this state, but I seriously think lighting and angle of picture are a bigger factor in this case than die fatigue.

Bert

16. Rick Stachowski

Either way, for what we had to look at for image, good job because vam #15A gets my vote ...

17. Rick Stachowski

Have a great night Mr. Jones ...

18. Mirza Beck

Mirza Beck Member

Thanks for your expert advise on the coin. The 1900 O is great catch I brought both the 1900 O and the 1878 S for only $100.00 I guess worth the price.

19. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

VAM 15A is correct.

Mirza Beck likes this.
  20. BertJones

BertJones Member

Although I have not seen your 1878s
    I would say you did pretty good on that purchase.
    Bert

Draft saved Draft deleted