1900 Barber Dime Reverse Wrong

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by NewB, Jan 27, 2011.

1. NewB

NewB New Member

1900 Barber Face.JPG 1900 Barber Reverse.JPG
    I found this 1900 Barber with this weird reverse.....Post Mint or did I miss something? I'm new to collecting and want to know if this is right or wrong.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. proofartoncircs

proofartoncircs Junior Member

Post mint - Love token

4. NewB

NewB New Member

Thanks I figured it was junk

5. proofartoncircs

proofartoncircs Junior Member

Still it is silver and some folk collect these.

6. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Not junk. That probably increased the value of an otherwise common date. A lot of people collect love token coins.

7. calumsherwood

calumsherwood New Member

in my opinoin that would make the coin much more desirable. someboby took the time to do that for their loved one. what do you get these days? a text message or post on facebook. we live in a much less romantic time and that is deffinatly worth keeping hold of

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nice piece, nice design.

collectible as a love token.

9. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

NOT JUNK. These can be worth a bit (less than $100).

10. NewB

NewB New Member

Hi again all,

Thanks everyone for your help......I have no idea who this coin was intended for as it belonged to my deceased father inlaw. He collected coins, stamps, artifacts, guns and many other things. My wife and I aquired all of his possessions and now are tasked with finding a value of it all. We know we can just call a dealer and take a flat offer on the entire collection, but without getting some information on each piece we won't know if the price is fare. His collection was not organized and rather large. Bags of coins, stacks of mint sets and proof sets, stacks of paper money (Large and small bills, fractional notes, star notes, gold certificates, silver certificates, series serial number bills, etc.) and the bad part is none of the collection has been graded. I have identified several error coins (3 leg buffalo, many double die errors and key date coins) but with money bags of coins to go through it is consuming far too much time. I have made mistakes already on some of the collection, not knowing the culture of collectors and not doing enough research on some of the paper money before getting rid of it. I was sifting through some bills and found some series serial numbered 2 dollar bills in mint condition and brought them to the bank and cashed them in for face value before I found out they were worth a bundle (some were 6 in series). Then before I found out about star notes I saw a stack of bills that didn't seem special to me, so I cashed them in.....I didn't know that red/blue/gold seal and that star meant anything. Then I started learning a little about the nuministic part but as I was sifting through some of the coins I was having some trouble seeing the coins because of all the crud on the circulated coins and I did the unthinkable.......that's right, God forbid I cleaned some before I found out I ruined them in a collectors eye. That did it for me.......I piled the whole collection in the corner and gave up for a couple of years. Well here I sit with a pile of stuff that a collector would love to have if he could get it away from this guy that has no idea what he has. I have organized some but there are still bags of coins dating 2000 back into the 1600s. Good for me I quit the cleaning before I ruined the entire collection and the majority still has it's patina that you collectors love so much. I'm sure I am just one in a million to make the mistakes I made but I'm just glad I saw the light and the errors of my ways.
    So now that you all know the history of my ending up here asking these dumb questions, if any of you are looking for some coins, sets, key dates, everything, etc. just fire me an email. There is no gold in the collection, but there is pounds of unsearched coins, lots of silver coins, uncirculated morgans and circulated morgans, etc. I am concidering ebay (although I hate that place) or other auctions as an outlet, If anyone is looking for a particular piece just ask and I'll check the mound and we can work something out.

Nice collecting all,
    Mark

11. luke420

luke420 Member

12. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I have a few Love Tokens and have always found it tricky to decipher the order in which the letters should be read. Was this coin made for someone with the initials VBM? BMV? MVB?

How do you tell the correct reading order?

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I think it might be BVH, I'm not seeing an M.

14. NewB

NewB New Member

I agree, I see BVH and the only letter that links back to his ancestury is V which is the first letter of his last name. I don't know of any other names to mate with the B&H. Although he was from a large family and I don't have the complete family tree.

15. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

I believe these would be in the same vein as Hobo nickels, wouldn't everyone agree?

Home-grown art work, some are very nice and there are collectors specific to these coins as artwork rather than coin collectors.
    Definately not junk!

Why not post some pics of interesting items like this when you come across them!
    We love pics, and you might learn something about the items as you go through everything.

Good luck!
    Dave

16. NewB

NewB New Member

I have found some Mexican 1/2 Real coins as far back as the 1600s. As I understand they were used as currency in the US until our government deemed them unfit and stopped redeeming them for cash. I also found some "Tokens" and lost them again into the abyss of the mound of bags. I understand they were also used during the depression and far earlier during the Civil War in New Orleans. We live in the New Orleans area, as did my father inlaw and have many coins and tokens unique to the area in the collection. There are many items that will never be discovered by me, but to the trained eye "There's Gold in Dem Dare Hills". :)

17. NewB

NewB New Member

Eisenhower Reverse.JPG Eisenhower Face.JPG
    Here is one of a series of President tokens I found that may spark some memories. I have the complete series and I can tell you they were not released by the US mint. Can anyone tell me who put together this series of "Tokens" (I do have the answer to this riddle).

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There have been a lot of different companies that has put out Presidental medal series over the years. Usually people will try to relate them to the gas station giveaways in the 60's and 70's but I don't think this one comes from that source. Those tokens tended to have on them somewhere a reference to the oil company that distributed them. I know the Franklin Mint had a set (acually several sets) but I don't see their mint mark on this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted