18th century Netherlands gold Ducat

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by A Novice, Apr 27, 2021.

1. A Novice

A Novice Well-Known Member

I’ve been looking at an 18th century Dutch ducat for a bit now. I know the recent proof versions, as well as common 1927s and 28s, can be had for a small premium over the spot price of gold. How much of a premium should the older 18th century ones fetch? The one I’m looking at is a common date in XF condition.
    Thank you

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Unless you can be a bit more specific regarding prox. date, how is one to be able to estimate a value? My suggestion is to check eBay or auction houses for latest sales.

4. A Novice

My apologies, good sir. The one I’m pondering is of the year of our lord, 1771.

NOS likes this.
  5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

6. A Novice

7. fretboard

Well, I know he's not taking offers but I make offers all the time when sellers aren't taking offers. Sometimes I get stuff for a little bit less and sometimes I don't. Welcome to CoinTalk and good luck! ;) I own one but it's not anything special but I like it! :D

s-160b.jpg s-160d.jpg s-160e.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    A Novice likes this.
  8. A Novice

I really like the proof versions, especially the 85. It seems as if the design changed from 86 onward. I also really like the older proof cases they came in. I plan on picking one of these up someday.

9. fretboard

Yes, in hand they are stunning! The engraving on the design is amazing and intricate which makes it a beautiful coin! :cigar: I hope to get another someday but I'm gonna wait for the price of gold to go down a bit. thumbsup.gif

A Novice likes this.
  10. A Novice

I decided to make the purchase this morning only to find it sold. My gut was telling me to get it for the last few days but I’m so hesitant when it comes to making large (for me) purchases. Oh well, I’m sure another one will pop up someday.

11. A Novice

I found a company selling these at a very reasonable price on eBay. Unfortunately, they do not include the beautiful case.

12. fretboard

Someone bought the one below, see it just depends how bad someone wanted it as it definitely has value and it wasn't a terrible price. Just a high premium when you're thinking in bullion terms but it was worth the asking price! :D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3532955940...15780X724604X58b2a8ac72ec163adf91890e646ea2bc

Draft saved Draft deleted