1899-O Morgan. Trying to nail down the VAM

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GeorgeM, Jan 8, 2021.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I noticed some doubling on this coin right out the gate, but can't find the corresponding VAM. Does anything pop out for y'all?

1899-O a1 01 date.jpg 1899-O a1 02 doubling in 9's loop.jpg 1899-O a1 03 doubled N.jpg 1899-O a1 04 doubled N.jpg 1899-O a1 05 doubled 2nd 9.jpg 1899-O a1 06 mintmark.jpg 1899-O a1 07 doubled branch.jpg 1899-O a1 08 doubled WE.jpg 1899-O a1 09 States.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

There are also some details transferred that I'm trying to figure out if come from PMD or from die damage. In particular, the AT on STATES & the reeding that appears in at least 2 places of the reverse:

1899-O a1 10 eagle's neck.jpg 1899-O a1 11 reeding in field.jpg 1899-O a1 12 reeding across eagle's leg.jpg 1899-O a1 13 reeding across eagle's leg.jpg 1899-O a1 14 reeding across eagle's leg.jpg

4. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

I see nothing but a bag mark and a little bit of shifting... Weren't these hand stamped?

5. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

gonna need full image of obverse and reverse for starters to help you, then from there we can get into close ups beyond that.
    Here's VAMworld page:
    http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com/wiki/1899-O_VAMs

VAM isn't necessarily doubling, it can be position of the date or mintmark, or die gouges or die breaks, or die chips ect, anything on a coin/die that can identify a specific die pair used for the coins strike really, Yes a doubled die can be a VAM, but it doesn't have to be.

it also can be not a VAM and nothing giving it uniqueness to identify the die pair, or an unattributed as of yet VAM.

You don't have a picture of the star to the right of the last 9 of the date here, but your "99" picture looks right for VAM-41, I'd need to see the star to the right of the date to go any further which is why the picture of the front and back of the coin is important as close and as big as you can while still getting the whole coin.

between the two pictures of the date, the one with the 19 and then the one with the 99, it appears as the 1 is closer to the denticles than the 9 is in the other picture, suggesting it's slanted date, if that's the case, then that's another check mark for VAM-41.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I don't know about your VAM question but that doubling is strike doubling and the marks that look like reeding marks from other coins are just that, they're reeding marks from other coins. There's nothing of consequence showing in those photos. They're very good photos, BTW, well done there.

7. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Also it looks like a High O mintmark placement.

Also you should look for a decent amount of die scratches/gouges between the right side neck and wing gap void space above the shoulder joint. if this is the case, then would be looking at it being VAM-41, it's a middling VAM on interest and rarity as a VAM if it all checks out. Not sure if it adds value or not or what the worth is if attributed. it's not a VAM PCGS does though but I'm sure ANACS would attribute it.

8. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

High O tilted right, 2nd 9 doubled bottom inside upper loop, normal date position. The doubling you see on the N un UNUM is Longacre doubling.

GeorgeM likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted