1899 Jamaica Penny, Ebay Bargain?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Jags, Oct 24, 2019.

1. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Hi all, this I just got this week from Ebay for a princely 18.00 USD plus shipping. I think this a rather nice piece - the lustre is much better than my sorry pictures. The copper nickle pennies of this series are very poorly struck in general and many appear not too pleasant as you may know. It is not graded, but GTG if you like:

fullsizeoutput_15f6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_15f7.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I'd say you did very good price wise. KM#17, mintage-24,000, copper-nickel.

2004 World coin catalog Krause grade/values...

F-$5.00 VF-$15.00 XF-$60.00 UNC.-$185.00

not sure what your coins grade is...XF+ ? wait for more value opinions.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Paddy54 and Paul M. like this.
  4. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

In hand it is very, very nice with no wear and only a very minimal planchet defect in the obverse field in front of chin.

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Nice looking coin. Without a read on the luster, it's a little hard to say what it grades, but I say minimum AU. According to Krause, you scored!

At first I thought the color was funny, then I looked it up and realized it's a copper-nickel coin. I was expecting it to be copper or bronze.

6. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

7. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

I have an NGC graded 63 - 1882 penny and this is quite similar. I think not a lot strikes up in Vickie's hair; pineapples relatively well struck on this one.
    An important bit to look at is the edge strike up and if there is any wear or contact to it, and this has very nice edges and denticles.

Draft saved Draft deleted